Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 4°C

min temp: 1°C

Search

Marks & Spencer in Westgate Street, Ipswich reopens at 4pm after gas leak

PUBLISHED: 10:26 26 November 2015 | UPDATED: 17:24 26 November 2015

The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a  carbon monoxide leak

The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a carbon monoxide leak

Marks & Spencer in Ipswich town centre was closed for most of the day after a carbon monoxide leak was detected.

The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a  carbon monoxide leak The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a carbon monoxide leak

National Grid was called to the store in Westgate Street at 6.30am to reports of a smell of gas in the basement.

Engineers did some tests and found a “small amount” of carbon monoxide, a National Grid spokeswoman said.

All of the staff were evacuated from the shop and part of the street cordoned off while investigation work took place.

Three neighbouring shops also experienced a power cut around the same time so engineers from UK Power Networks attended.

The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a  carbon monoxide leak The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a carbon monoxide leak

The electricity was restored at 14.43pm

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was called to Marks & Spencer around 8.30am and sent three fire crews from Ipswich East and Princes Street.

Crews found that the leak was caused by an “underground fault” and used positive pressure fans to ventilate the basement.

A small fire was found in electric cable but it was “dug out” and extinguished, a fire spokeswoman said.

The gas was within safe limits at 12.17pm and firefighters continued to monitor the levels for any arising leaks until 3.38pm when the stop was called.

Speaking at the scene, station commander from Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service Steve Rhind said: “The electricity board and gas board were mobilised to a leak this morning. They detected carbon monoxide in the basement. We used breathing apparatus and found high readings.

“We know there’s gas down there and we have now handed things over to the gas and electricity board but we will still have a presence here.

“Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas, it’s a silent killer, so we can’t have people wandering around in the basement so we are doing safety checks and making sure it’s safe for the general public and staff.

“We will be keeping the shop closed until the readings are clear in the basement.”

A Marks and Spencer spokeswoman said following a floor safety review and permission from the local authority, the shop reopened at 4pm and would stay open until 9pm for late-night Christmas shopping.

She said staff from the Westgate Street store were relocated to other nearby Marks and Spencer stores while it was closed.

A top primary school in Martlesham Heath has been given Ofsted’s top rating of ‘outstanding’ in its latest inspection – the first time it achieved the benchmark rating in 50 years.

Women from Suffolk have described how their lives were rocked by “unfair” changes to pension laws.

Murray Park in Ipswich is set to get a trim trail as the latest measure to improve facilities.

A new road, which ran almost £5m over budget, faces fresh controversy after it emerged a council employee involved in the project also completed work for the road’s developers through his private company.

Two high-end cycles – worth £10,000 in total – were stolen after burglars broke into a garage in Elmsett, near Hadleigh.

Refugee and asylum seeking women living in Suffolk say getting to grips with the English language is one of the biggest challenges they face.

A damning dossier compiled by a senior whistleblower from the region’s ambulance trust has claimed at least 40 patients died or were harmed due to delays over Christmas and New Year - including one person who froze to death.

A century ago, in December 1917, Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, one of the most famous residents of Aldeburgh, died, writes Dr Lucy Harvard.

A senior whistleblower within the region’s ambulance trust has claimed up to 80 people could have died or come to harm because of delays over the Christmas and New Year period.

A three-vehicle crash in Kesgrave this afternoon caused a road to be blocked for more than two hours.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24