Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 11°C

Search

Marks & Spencer in Westgate Street, Ipswich reopens at 4pm after gas leak

10:26 26 November 2015

The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a  carbon monoxide leak

The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a carbon monoxide leak

Marks & Spencer in Ipswich town centre was closed for most of the day after a carbon monoxide leak was detected.

The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a  carbon monoxide leakThe fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a carbon monoxide leak

National Grid was called to the store in Westgate Street at 6.30am to reports of a smell of gas in the basement.

Engineers did some tests and found a “small amount” of carbon monoxide, a National Grid spokeswoman said.

All of the staff were evacuated from the shop and part of the street cordoned off while investigation work took place.

Three neighbouring shops also experienced a power cut around the same time so engineers from UK Power Networks attended.

The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a  carbon monoxide leakThe fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a carbon monoxide leak

The electricity was restored at 14.43pm

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was called to Marks & Spencer around 8.30am and sent three fire crews from Ipswich East and Princes Street.

Crews found that the leak was caused by an “underground fault” and used positive pressure fans to ventilate the basement.

A small fire was found in electric cable but it was “dug out” and extinguished, a fire spokeswoman said.

The gas was within safe limits at 12.17pm and firefighters continued to monitor the levels for any arising leaks until 3.38pm when the stop was called.

Speaking at the scene, station commander from Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service Steve Rhind said: “The electricity board and gas board were mobilised to a leak this morning. They detected carbon monoxide in the basement. We used breathing apparatus and found high readings.

“We know there’s gas down there and we have now handed things over to the gas and electricity board but we will still have a presence here.

“Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas, it’s a silent killer, so we can’t have people wandering around in the basement so we are doing safety checks and making sure it’s safe for the general public and staff.

“We will be keeping the shop closed until the readings are clear in the basement.”

A Marks and Spencer spokeswoman said following a floor safety review and permission from the local authority, the shop reopened at 4pm and would stay open until 9pm for late-night Christmas shopping.

She said staff from the Westgate Street store were relocated to other nearby Marks and Spencer stores while it was closed.

2 comments

  • So, Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service sent 3 fire engines. If you read the paper recently it's lucky that they had 3 to send. If the cuts go ahead then you may not have the luxury of 3, you would only get 2 respond quickly and maybe just maybe if they were busy doing something else then who knows when the first on call truck would arrive!!!!!!

    Report this comment

    jay jay

    Thursday, November 26, 2015

  • This sounds a bit confused. A gas leak is a gas leak, but Carbon Monoxide is odourless and a product of poor combustion (e.g. because of a faulty boiler or blocked air vent).

    Report this comment

    Baptist Trainfan

    Thursday, November 26, 2015

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

A Martlesham man is angry after a booked trip on a steam train up Snowdon was cancelled due to an obese family taking up all the room in his carriage.

A 170-tonne electricity transformer the size of a bungalow is being transported along the A12 in Suffolk on Saturday.

Chinese backers yesterday signed important financial agreements connected to the construction of Suffolk’s yet-to-be-approved Sizewell C nuclear power station.

A 15-year-old girl missing from Ipswich has been found, according to Suffolk police officers.

A 32-year-old autistic woman from Ipswich has hosted a Macmillan coffee morning in memory of her mother, who died of cancer two years ago.

And depending how significant the prize, or the emotional attachment to it, their fates can range from living out their days in a dusty draw to taking pride of place on your (or your parent’s) mantelpiece.

Police are appealing for witnesses and information after a nine-year-old girl reported being approached by two men on bicycles in Ipswich.

Police stopped a driver on the A14 this afternoon near Needham Market who was going at 107mph.

Members of a Suffolk-based fitness team have raised more than £7,000 for Ipswich Hospital’s neonatal and paediatric wards after completing the Three Peaks Challenge in just 22 hours.

Opened up in 1938, Broomhill Pool was, for decades, one of the most popular attractions in Ipswich.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24