max temp: 7°C

min temp: 3°C


Mellis: Community leaders express sadness following the death of 20-year-old William Smith

19:31 22 July 2014

Emergency crews were called to the single-vehicle collision in Eye Road (pictured) in Hoxne shortly before midnight. Pic: Callum Maclean

Emergency crews were called to the single-vehicle collision in Eye Road (pictured) in Hoxne shortly before midnight. Pic: Callum Maclean


A community has expressed sadness following the death of William Smith.


William Smith, 20, of The Common, Mellis, near Eye, died after a silver Ford Ranger crashed in to a tree Eye Road, Hoxne, near Diss, at around 11.50pm.

Police, paramedics, firefighters, the East Anglian Air Ambulance and a volunteer doctor from the Suffolk Accident Rescue Service were all called to the scene of the single-vehicle collision.

Despite their attempts, Mr Smith, the driver of the vehicle, was pronounced dead at the scene.

He was a former pupil of Hartismere High School, had overcome leukaemia, and was well known within the village.

Headmaster Jim McAtear said: “It’s simply heartbreaking news. Everyone here is utterly saddened for William and his family and our hearts go out to them all.”

Mid Suffolk District Councillor Diana Kearsley said upon hearing the news: “I send my sympathies to his family and parents. It’s a tragic loss of a young life.”

Suffolk County Councillor Jessica Fleming said: “I’m dreadfully saddened that a young person has lost his life in an accident that could happen to anyone.

“My condolences go out to his family. If there’s anything I can do for his family then I am pleased to be contacted.”

He was a regular at the Railway Tavern in Mellis and helped the pub’s landlady Ester Deocampo and her partner Frank Hill to set up the Mellis Music and Beer Festival which took place at the pub on Saturday (July 19).

Miss Deocampo described Mr Smith as a “hero” to those who knew him and said he was planning to start his own business.

She added: “Everyone is shocked about the death. We can’t really understand what has happened.

“The guy has been a hero for us, he has never been bad to anyone. All his friends, everybody and everyone in here is in tears and I don’t know how we are going to cope with this because he was a close friend and customer.

“We are basically shocked about what has happened.”

Miss Deocampo described him as “friendly” and “helpful,” adding: “Basically, he was the type of person you could ask and he would always help.”

She added he had recovered from the leukaemia and his mother had participated in fund raising runs to help fight the condition.

Mr Smith’s death is the 20th on Suffolk’s roads in 2014. Last year, a total of 25 motorists died in the county.

A number of floral tributes were also left at the scene of the crash, which destroyed a wire fence in front of a garden and tore bark off the bottom of a tree, while parts of the car’s front bumper were also laying at the site.

One tribute read “Dear Will, gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts. Love Thomas, Stacey.”

It is thought no other vehicles or people were involved in the incident.

The road was closed until 5.30am to allow officers to carry out an investigation.

Police are keen to hear from anyone who had been travelling along the road who may have witnessed the collision or seen the car travelling along the road prior to the collision. Call 101.



Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Undated handout photo issued by ITV of Kieron Dyer who has been revealed as one of the contestants for I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here! 2015. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Tuesday November 10, 2015. Also among the 10-strong line-up is Diana Princess of Wales biographer Lady Colin Campbell, fashion guru Susannah Constantine, Spandau Ballet's Tony Hadley, TV personality Yvette Fielding, X Factor choreographer Brian Friedman and Union J's George Shelley. See PA story SHOWBIZ Celebrity. Photo credit should read: ITV/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

Kieron Dyer was given a rare night of luxury after winning a stay at the Jungle Boutique Hotel, but tensions are running high in the I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here camp.

East Anglian Air Ambulance

The A134 at Assington is closed in both directions due to a serious single-vehicle crash.

Humber Doucy Lane, Ipswich.

A couple aged in their 70s were injured during a robbery at an Ipswich home.

Izzy Alder

An 18-year-old woman who failed to arrive at school today has been found.

The Lighthouse project in Ipswich is celebrating its 40th anniversary.Ali Jordan and Ursula Burrows in a meeting.

There is a collage on the wall of messages from women who have been helped by Lighthouse Women’s Aid in Ipswich, formerly known as Ipswich Women’s Aid.

The police investigation centre in Martlesham.

One woman was taken to hospital and 20 other people into police custody today after they were discovered in a lorry container.

Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne leaves the Treasury in London for the House of Commons, where Osborne will deliver his Autumn Statement. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday December 3, 2014. See PA story BUDGET Main. Photo credit should read: Hannah McKay/PA Wire

Chancellor George Osborne will declare a crisis in home ownership as he unveils a raft of measures he claims will see 400,000 new homes built across England.

Government cuts could make the regular inspection of our waterways harder

This Government has been very keen to talk up its “difficult choices”.

Abellio Greater Anglia has warned that the services are expected to be disrupted until 7pm.

Trains between Norwich and London Liverpool Street may be delayed by up to 40 minutes.

Christmas shoppers at Tower Ramparts - soon to become Sailmakers

When are your favourite Suffolk stores open in the days before Christmas, over the bank holidays and during the New Year period?

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Suffolk's trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the Ipswich Star e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24