Motorcyclist who died on B1136 at Hales named as Roy Huggins - Meanwhile, new figures show 12m people have watched shocking video of a fatal bike crash called ‘David’s story’
16:18 11 September 2014
copyright: Archant 2014
A 52-year-old man who died when his motorcycle collided with another biker on a stretch of road between Haddiscoe and Hales has been named as Roy Huggins.
An inquest in Norwich heard today that Mr Huggins died on the B1136 at Hales on September 7.
He was riding his motorbike when it was in collision with another bike travelling in the opposite direction, just before 2pm.
The cause of death was given as multiple injuries due to a road traffic collision.
The full inquest will be held on January 22 next year.
The inquest heard that Mr Huggins was born in Great Yarmouth and lived in Whinchat Way, Bradwell, near Yarmouth.
An inquest into the death of the second man who died in the crash has not yet been opened, and he has not been named.
No other vehicles were believed to be involved in the crash, which came just days after police released a shocking video featuring clips of a fatal bike crash captured on the deceased rider’s headcam as part of a road safety campaign.
It has now been revealed that nearly 12m people have viewed the video, which features footage from a fatal collision in Norfolk.
‘David’s story’ has attracted worldwide attention and had received more than one million views within 24 hours of being launched a week ago.
The video, which features film captured on the headcam of Norwich motorcyclist David Holmes, killed on the A47 in June last year, was released with the aim of getting riders and drivers to think about road safety and ultimately save lives.
It has also generated thousands of comments on the Norfolk and Suffolk police social media sites, with messages received from people in Russia, USA, Canada, Mexico, Germany, Ecuador, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and France.
Chief Inspector Chris Spinks, head of the Norfolk and Suffolk Roads Policing Unit, said the response had been “incredible”.
He said: “I’m really astonished by the response and I’m confident that with this number of people having seen the video, someone’s behaviour has been influenced for the better.
“David’s family have always been of the belief that if this video could save just one life it would have been worth releasing into the public domain. I believe that due to the high levels of interest, we have gone some way to achieving this.
“The video is creating debate and whatever your opinion the good thing is that people are talking about road safety which will ultimately get them thinking about their behaviour on the roads.”
People from across the world have been contacting police, via the website, to give their views and opinions on the video.