Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

New Orwell Bridge closure plan nearing completion with diversion plans set to be included

PUBLISHED: 09:00 25 October 2017

Highways England is putting together a new protocol for the Orwell Bridge. Picture: GREGG BROWN

Highways England is putting together a new protocol for the Orwell Bridge. Picture: GREGG BROWN

A new plan for dealing with Orwell Bridge closures is nearing completion – with details on diversions and how the public is informed set to be included.

Traffic in Ipswich ground to halt after the fatal crash on the Orwell Bridge on Friday morning. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN Traffic in Ipswich ground to halt after the fatal crash on the Orwell Bridge on Friday morning. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

During a summit held on Wednesday last week, Highways England updated members of Suffolk County Council, Ipswich Borough Council, Suffolk police and Associated British Ports on progress for its new protocol, while those organisations have been giving feedback during six-monthly meetings.

A spokesman from Highways England said it was applying the “finishing touches” to the new protocol, which will be unveiled with a presentation when it is completed.

Within the new document is expected to be details on how strong winds must be to trigger a bridge closure, why the bridge has to be closed and when it re-opens, what the diversion routes are and how the public and media are informed.

A dedicated webpage is also being set up with travel updates.

The news comes after police closed the bridge for more than eight hours on Friday last week following a fatal road traffic accident.

During last week’s bridge closures, motorists were facing lengthy delays as traffic had to be diverted through Ipswich town centre, causing gridlock on some of the town’s already-busy roads.

Motorists heading into Ipswich from Colchester reported journeys of three-hours, while the bridge is used by thousands of lorries each day to get to and from the Port of Felixstowe.

A Suffolk police spokeswoman said the work carried out on Friday was in line with its usual serious road traffic collision investigation, which differs to its work in helping close the bridge during high winds.

“Police investigation of serious and fatal collisions needs to be carried out in a thorough manner, as initially the scene has to be protected, evidence gathered and witnesses spoken to,” she said.

“Enquiries can take a number of hours to complete, and our duty of care to road users means that roads cannot be reopened until the highway is clear of any hazard that may affect use of the road.”

A high wind protocol for the Orwell Bridge was published in January 2015, but it is understood all affected parties are keen to make improvements from lessons learnt during Storm Doris in February, when high winds forced the bridge to be closed.

On Thursday, an update is to be presented at the IBC strategic overview committee.

Possible plans to arm rural officers look unlikely to be applied any time soon to forces in East Anglia.

A spokesperson for Suffolk police said that they were called to the man, who was trapped in Landseer Park at 7.50am yesterday morning.

A major roadworks scheme which is set to cause chaos on a key route in Ipswich for up to six months saw dozens of people turn out for a meeting on the matter.

With the Suffolk Show only eight days away we have put together a guide of everything you need to know about the two-day event.

From a children’s festival to gruesome goings-on at a castle, wildlife trails and even a superhero training day, there are lots of open-air activities to enjoy over half-term week - not forgetting the Suffolk Show!

Writer Richard Curtis had concerns that calling his new film “Suffolk Lad” may have brought some pronunciation issues, but as reporter MICHAEL STEWARD found out there is a Suffolk and Norfolk on both sides of the pond.

Throwback Thursday returns for another week, this time remembering May 1999.

Tributes have been paid to a leading Essex historian who was instrumental in the discovery of Richard III’s remains.

A man who inflicted an “horrendous and premeditated” attack on his wife before setting himself on fire has been jailed for 14 years.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24