Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 22°C

min temp: 14°C

Search

The pigs have arrived. See the latest

Pigs Gone Wild

news here.

New life for old chapel

13:29 04 July 2008

EADT

Words Mark Lord

Leiston Abbey chapel on Minsmere Reserve

The ruins of the ancient chapel that is all that remains of the original leiston Abbey at Minsmere Reserve

Picture by Jerry Turner
2/7/08

EADT 3/7/08

EADT Words Mark Lord Leiston Abbey chapel on Minsmere Reserve The ruins of the ancient chapel that is all that remains of the original leiston Abbey at Minsmere Reserve Picture by Jerry Turner 2/7/08 EADT 3/7/08

A SIGNIFICANT piece of Suffolk's medieval past - known to thousands of visitors to Suffolk's top nature reserve - has been preserved.

A SIGNIFICANT piece of Suffolk's medieval past - known to thousands of visitors to Suffolk's top nature reserve - has been preserved.

The small chapel, which lies on coastal marshland at Minsmere, near Leiston, has been protected from the ravages of time thanks to help from heritage bosses.

It is the second piece of the area's ancient history to be preserved and heralded as being of national importance - last month an early medieval boat was uncovered at Sizewell.

The conservation of Leiston Chapel has given archaeologists a valuable insight into how the land was used dating back to 1182.

The RSPB was given £35,600 by English Heritage and £12,000 from Natural England to conserve and repair the crumbling walls of the chapel under the proviso that it commissioned a thorough evaluation first.

This research was led by Suffolk County Council's Archaeological Conservation Team and confirmed the chapel is situated in the centre of what was originally a Premonstratensian Abbey.

Leiston Abbey, formerly known as St Mary's Abbey, was founded in 1182 near Minsmere by Ranulf de Glanville, Lord Chief Justice to King Henry II.

Fearing an increased risk of flooding, the monks abandoned the abbey in 1363, and a new complex was built two and a half miles further inland by Robert de Ufford, Earl of Suffolk.

Documentary evidence suggests that a presence was maintained on the original site until the dissolution in 1537 and Leiston Chapel is the only surviving evidence of this continuing occupation.

John Ette, ancient monuments inspector for English Heritage in the east region, said: “This is of great archaeological importance, being the early site of the Leiston Abbey and where the monks created their community before they were inundated by coastal processes.

“The chapel is the last surviving element and it sits on a hill in the most amazing setting in the nature reserve.

“It may appear that very little is left of the abbey but what is here is of great importance. This and the other Leiston Abbey are the only Premonstratensian sites in Suffolk.”

Stuart Boulter, archaeologist for Suffolk County Council, said: “The chapel has three phases of building showing the different periods of restoration it has been through and helps us back up the belief that after the abbey was transferred to Leiston this chapel was still inhabited.”

The chapel also played a surprising role in during the Second World War, when a concrete pillbox and machine gun emplacement was inserted into the eastern end of the structure.

Ian Barthorpe, spokesman for RSPB Minsmere, said: “Many of our visitors ask about the building in the middle of marshes, allowing us to tell its fascinating story.

“Twice a year I organise walks past the chapel and it gives me the opportunity to tell how its history relates to the current landscape of Minsmere and how its inhabitants over the years have helped shape this part of the reserve.”

0 comments

Motorcyclist banned

A handyman has lost his driving licence after police saw him speeding on his motorbike while over the drug-drive limit.

Police have been called to a collision between a Ford Focus and a Ford Fiesta near to the Suffolk Ski Centre.

Fraudster must now pay back £183,000

The kingpin behind internet escort and debt elimination scams which fleeced £5.7million from 17,300 victims has had the amount he must pay back reduced from £750,000 to £183,000.

Sir Stanley Rous

Sir Alf Ramsey wasn’t the only Suffolk knight to have a key role in the World Cup Final of 1966.

Team manager Alf Ramsey and trainer Harold Sheperdson (standing) watch England's victory over Germany in the 1966 World Cup

On the 50th anniversary of his greatest triumph, we are today celebrating Sir Alf Ramsey, the man who inspired both Ipswich Town and England to extraordinary levels of success and glory.

Millions of pounds are lost each year in our region due to people wasting medicines. Photo credit should read: Ben Birchall/PA Wire

Suffolk health chiefs are urging people to buy their own treatments after they spent £3.4 million on “wasted medicines” in the past year.

Samuel and Darren Noller at the Eiffel Tower, Paris

A father and son cycling duo raised more than £3,000 for a Suffolk charity helping women struggling with addiction.

The 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment marched through Woodbridge Market Hill to mark 10 years of being based just outside the town at Rock Barracks.

Crowds of people lined the streets of a Suffolk town to salute locally based soldiers.

Jubilee Meadow and Orchard, in Bredfield, near Woodbridge, received Keep Britain Tidy’s Green Flag Community Award. Planting the young orchard trees on a raw March day.

A Suffolk village will be flying the standard for top quality parks and gardens after receiving Keep Britain Tidy’s Green Flag Community Award.

Police are investigating

Police have been called to Thurston Road near Bury St Edmunds this evening after a bull escaped its field and onto the road.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24