Suffolk college’s ‘Danny Boyles’ of tomorrow honoured at ‘The Roscars’ film and media awards
PUBLISHED: 20:03 15 May 2018 | UPDATED: 20:03 15 May 2018
Film and media students at a Suffolk college will be the “Danny Boyles of tomorrow”, a teacher claimed at his annual awards ceremony.
One college in Ipswich held its annual “Roscars” – named after media teacher Ross Barrett – recently to celebrate the talents of students on creative courses at the sixth form.
Mr Barrett said: “Without doubt, we have some of the Danny Boyle’s of tomorrow studying with us.
“These awards get bigger and better every year and the quality of the work that is being produced keeps improving. Naturally it makes me feel very proud.”
Last year’s student of the year, Alfie Vaughan, who has gone on to work on campaigns for international brands, said it was “lovely to be back” presenting to this year’s winner.
“The things that I studied at One have help me in the real world,” he added.
“I feel fortunate to be working on campaigns for brands like Samsung, Nike, Candy Crush and John Lewis. My long term plan is to stay where I am and progress through the ranks.”
Kieran Waters, who took this year’s top award said he was “shocked” by the honour.
“I sincerely thought that the award would go to someone else,” he added.
“I’m honoured to be the one that my teachers think deserve it.
“I’m not sure where life is going to take me but I’m sure that One is going to be a stepping stone. One has been supportive.
“I would say that it says on the Ofsted posters that they are the only outstanding sixth form in Suffolk and I don’t doubt that. They are beyond outstanding.” m/f
The full awards:
• AS film award – Harvey Bridgewater
• A2 film studies award – Kyle Gilmour, Ryan Lee and Connor Williams
• Media production year 12 – Callum Everitt
• Video production year 13 – Tom Patrick
• AS media studies – Alice Adams
• A2 media studies – Joel Ryder, Lu Mather and Oscar Beardwood
• Year 12 games design – Freddy Abson
• Year 13 games design – Chris Thomas
• Progression – Nate Burrows
• Extra-curricular award – the One magazine team
• Technical master – Madison Allan
• Teacher’s recognition award – George Mattock
• Student of the year award – Kieran Waters