max temp: 12°C

min temp: 7°C


Poll: More than 900 operations cancelled at Ipswich Hospital in three years

13:00 04 January 2013

More than 900 operations were cancelled at Ipswich Hospital in the last three years

More than 900 operations were cancelled at Ipswich Hospital in the last three years


Pressure on beds, staff sickness and emergency cases are among the reasons for more than 900 operations being cancelled at Ipswich Hospital in the last three years.


From December 2009 until September 2012, 963 operations scheduled at Ipswich Hospital were cancelled at short notice – because of a lack of beds or staff, a problem with hospital equipment or administration.

The statistics revealed in Parliament show at West Suffolk Hospital (WSH) that figure was 568 procedures.

An Ipswich hospital spokeswoman said the trust is consistently exceeding the nationally set standard that less than one per cent of operations are cancelled for non-clinical reasons.

She said: “The 963 cancellations in this report should be considered against the figure of 134,093 which is this number of operations we carried out in that time.

“Obviously we are sorry when an operation has to be cancelled at short notice and our teams work extremely hard to make sure it only happens when absolutely necessary.

“We recognise the frustration and anxiety it can cause patients.

“There are some unavoidable situations, for example if a surgeon is unwell and unable to perform the operation, if the speciality bed is not available unexpectedly, or if there is not enough time left on the theatre list because previous operations have taken longer than planned.

“We are working hard in this area, and the percentage of operations we are cancelling is reducing.”

So far this year Ipswich Hospital have cancelled 0.4 per cent of all operations for non-clinical reasons at short notice.

Nationally for the last three months of 2012 the average was 0.7pc compared to the Heath Road trust’s average of 0.5pc.

Andy Graham, interim chief operating officer at WSH said: “We do everything we can to avoid cancelling operations, but do occasionally need to postpone elective surgery for reasons beyond our control, such as urgent trauma cases and staff absence.

“We will continue working to reduce this figure in the future for the benefit of our patients.”

n What do you think? Write to the Star’s health reporter Lizzie Parry at Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail lizzie.parry@archant.co.uk


1 comment

  • I had my operation cancelled 5 days before it was due, because the registrar had put me forward for the wrong surgery. At my pre op if I hadn't asked to see the consultant I would have had the wrong operation. I have been waiting since Sept 2011 to have something done about several conditions, and finally Ipswich hospital have admitted they are not capable of doing the proceedure, and have referred me to a London hospital where I have to start all over again. I wrote to Jeremy Hunt on December 9th in despair, and have not even received acknowledgement of my letter. I would not reccomend Ipswich Hospital to anybody, and never want to go anywhere near the place again.

    Report this comment

    Mrs Mac

    Friday, January 4, 2013

The church is launching its fight back against gangs targeting places of worship for lead. St Mary's Church, Combs Road, Combs. Left to right is Assistant Chief Constable Rachel Kearton and Ipswich Bishop Martin Seeley.

The public have been asked to help the church and the police combat thieves targeting medieval churches across the country.

Aqua 8, Lion Street, Ipswich

An Ipswich chef-entrepreneur has achieved his dream of opening up his own restaurant in London’s Chinatown.

Stock image. Photo: PA

Suffolk police have strongly denied officers have used a Taser against a 91-year-old man after being accused of doing so by a BBC investigation.

Theatre Square artists impression

Construction work to tidy up the former Civic Centre site in the heart of Ipswich – and to create a new public square in front of the New Wolsey Theatre.

Residents have been campaigning for a by-pass for the four villages for decades.

Suffolk County Council is to contribute £450,000 towards building a case for the construction of a new by-pass around four villages on the A12 in the north of the county.

Matt Gaw strikes up a conversation with commuters in London

I’m standing in a queue at a large supermarket. A woman in front of me has long since packed her shopping into carrier bags, writes Matt Gaw.

More than 30 vehicles were stopped as part of the operation

More than 30 drivers of lorries, light goods vehicles and coaches were stopped by police last week in an initiative aimed to target and disrupt criminal activity.

Robin Byford who is considering High Court action against Suffolk Coastal District Council and the planning inspectorate over planning permission to turn his garage into a house.

A Kesgrave father is considering taking the district council and planning inspectorate to the High Court after a three year planning rollercoaster to convert a garage to a starter home for his daughter.

The Kent Lodge Nursing Home.

Kent Lodge was rated inadequate by the CQC this year – one of five homes in the county to be given the rating this year

Robert Morton

MPs have warned the region’s new ambulance chief they will keep a laser like focus on the turnaround of the service when they came face-to-face in parliament.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages