September 1 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
THESE bright peppers with their lively filling will really cheer you up on a cold, snowy evening.
Delicious, healthy and affordbale, they are an ideal offering for any family dinner table.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Approximate cost for recipe: £5.32
Approximate cost per serving: £1.33
• 4 red, yellow or green peppers, halved and deseeded
• 150g long-grain rice
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
• 300g skinless turkey breast, cut into chunks
• 2 tomatoes, chopped
• 75g frozen peas, thawed
• 2 teaspoons mild paprika
• 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
• Ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C, gas mark 5. Arrange the peppers, cut side up, in a roasting pan.
2. Put the rice into a large saucepan and cook in simmering water for 12-15 minutes, or according to pack instructions, until tender.
3. Whilst the rice is cooking, heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan or wok and stir-fry the onion and garlic (if using) until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the turkey and stir-fry briskly for about 5 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, peas, paprika and herbs, then remove from the heat. Drain the rice thoroughly and stir it into the tomato mixture. Season with some pepper.
5. Spoon the filling into the pepper halves (don’t worry if there’s too much, just spoon it into the roasting pan). Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve at once.
Tip 1: Another time, use skinless, boneless chicken instead of turkey.
Tip 2: Prepare the dish ahead of time, up to the point where you have stuffed the peppers, then cover and chill until you are ready to bake the dish.