Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C


Sainsbury’s launches improved £1.3bn offer for Argos owner Home Retail Group

09:17 02 February 2016

Sainisbury's has tabled an improved £1.3bn offer for Argos owner Home Retail Group.

Sainisbury's has tabled an improved £1.3bn offer for Argos owner Home Retail Group.

Sainsbury’s has tabled an improved deal worth up to £1.3billion to take over Argos owner Home Retail Group.

The supermarket giant has made a “possible offer” of 161.3p per Home Retail Group share, involving a mix of cash and shares which, if accepted, would leave Home Retail Group shareholders owning about 12% of the combined group.

Home Retail Group said today that it still “believes in the prospects for the standalone company” but the possible offer provided an “attractive opportunity” for its shareholders to receive full valuation for their shares.

However, the sale of Home Retail Group’s DIY chain, Homebase, to Australian business Wesfarmers is said to be a condition of the possible offer by Sainsbury’s.

The £340million deal, which will see the Homebase name replaced by the Bunnings Warehouse brand, is still awaiting the approval of shareholders.

Sainsbury’s had until 5pm today to make a fresh bid for Home Retail Group after its initialy £1bn offer was rebuffed in November.

The companies have now agreed a three-week extension to the deadline, until 5pm on Tuesday, February 23, in order to complete due diligence on the proposed offer.

Sainsbury’s said previously that it could could close a raft of Argos stores and relocate them within its supermarkets if the deal was given the go-ahead. Retail experts believe between 150 and 200 Argos stores could be affected.

The supermarket chain has already been working in partnership with Home Retail Group to test a number of Argos concessions within its stores. It believes the combination of the two companies would create a strong food and non-food retailer with strong heritages.

If approved, the combination of the two companies would trigger synergies of about £120mn in the third full year after completion of the deal, Sainsbury’s said.

It is estimated that about a half of the savings will be found by relocating Argos stores into Sainsbury’s supermarkets as concessions, as well as launching new Argos concessions and expanding Sainsbury’s click and collect service.

It also expects to deliver a third of the savings by removing back office functions which overlap between the two companies and by selling Sainsbury’s clothing and homeware products to Argos customers.

The supermarket said that, in order to achieve the savings, it would face a one-off costs of about £140m, split equally over three years.

1 comment

  • I just hope Sainsburys keeps its receipt then they can then return it to their local branch of Argos for a full refund upto 14 days later.

    Report this comment

    dale craven

    Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

A disqualified motorist banned for a drink-drive related offence was caught driving again while nearly four-and-a-half times the limit within two hours of his conviction.

Hundreds of youngsters braved the cold October temperatures to celebrate all things autumn at the Holywells Park Apple Day.

A Suffolk-based charity auction which has attracted bids from all over the world and raised more than £870,000 since its inception is aiming to break the £1million mark for national and local charities this year.

The A12 is now running smoothly after severe traffic delays earlier at Feering, Essex, caused by a two-car crash.

Suffolk police officers have been called to a clown sighting in Haughley, near Stowmarket this afternoon.

Fight or flight is fascinating, writes Ellen Widdup.

A Kesgrave man accused of attempting to rape a schoolgirl has been cleared by a jury.

Two boys with “hearts of gold” will be handed a BBC Radio 1 teen hero award for their charity work in Sudbury on Sunday, following the death of their close friend when he was just 13.

Some stores display a polite notice next to initial merchandise asking shoppers not to rearrange the items to create rude words.

Detectives have said they have not given up in their quest to find the body of alleged Suffolk double murder victim Sylvia Stuart.

Most read

Most commented


Show Job Lists

Topic pages


Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24