May 25 2013 Latest news:
Sunday, October 28, 2012
FIRE crews tackled a chimney fire on a thatched property in Shelland last night.
Crews from Elmswell and Stowmarket, as well as one fire engine and aerial appliance from Bury St Edmunds, were scrambled to the incident on Lower Road at 9:47 pm.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the reason such a high number of firefighters were sent out was because of the high possibility of the fire spreading rapidly on the thatched property.
Chimney gear and a thermal imaging camera were used to fight the fire and to check whether the fire had spread to the thatch. But, due to the rapid work of crews, the fire was contained to the chimney stack and the thatched roof saved.
Crews dampened down the chimney and were all back at home stations by 10:57pm