Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 5°C


Sizewell A: Work to remove 1,000 tonnes of asbestos from redundant nuclear plant to start in 2014

11:00 11 September 2013

Sizewell A power station.

Sizewell A power station.


Work to remove more than 1,000 tonnes of asbestos from the redundant Sizewell A nuclear power station is expected to start next year.


The asbestos will become what Magnox Limited, the site operator, describes as the plant’s “most significant hazard” following the completion of the removal of highly radioactive spent fuel rods from the site.

Magnox is currently assessing the likely cost of the asbestos removal prior to a bid to the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority for funding.

If the bid is approved, the work – to strip the asbestos from pipework in the turbine hall and transport it off-site for specialist disposal – is likely to start next year.

Tim Watkins, site director, told a meeting of the Sizewell Stakeholder Group: “This will be a substantial job and when it’s finished a big hazard will be gone.”

He said work on removing spent fuel from the two reactors was progressing well, with three loads a week currently leaving Sizewell Halt on the rail journey to Sellafield in Cumbria where the material will be reprocessed.

More than 60% of the 50,000 fuel elements have so far been removed and the rest are scheduled to go by September 2014, the deadline set by the Department of Energy and Climate Change.

Mr Watkins said efforts were continuing to minimise the job losses which would follow the completion of de-fuelling – the major work in the decommissioning process.

Talks are continuing with trades unions, and EDF Energy – which runs the adjacent Sizewell B plant – has agreed to the transfer of six health physics staff from the A site.

“The total job losses will be less than 120,” Mr Watkins said.

At present Sizewell A has 314 staff and 107 contract workers.

Sizewell A ceased electricity generation in 2006 after 40 years of operation. The site is not expected to be returned to its “green field” condition for at least 80 years.



Drink-driver in court

A company director has lost his licence after admitting drink-driving while travelling at 94mph on the A14.

Ipswich Crown Court.

A 21-year-old Ipswich man who attacked two guests at a party with a machete has been jailed for nine years.

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

A former servicemen has been banned from driving after crashing his car on Remembrance Sunday while nearly three times the legal alcohol limit.

Rail passengers are facing a day of disruption due to overrunning engineering work in Cambridgeshire.

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

A 20-year-old woman was given a six week prison sentence suspended for 12 months for stealing £10 from a resident of a care home where she worked.

Concerns for police staff over jobs

Hundreds of Suffolk Constabulary civilian staff face an anxious wait this week to discover the impact of a multi-million pound cost-cutting programme.

Tim Holder, director of the Suffolk Community Foundation, with Surviving Winter supporter, former journalist and TV presenter Christine Webber

A campaign to combat fuel poverty in Suffolk has helped more than 100 people to stay warm this winter in the first three weeks since its launch.

Former Ipswich Town manager Sir Bobby Robson

An online auction launched in memory of Ipswich Town and England legend Sir Bobby Robson has raised more than £160,000 for charity.

Bad weather in Felixstowe.

Properties are at risk from flooding at Bawdsey Quay and Felixstowe Ferry, the Environment Agency has warned.

Ipswich Crown Court.

A 67-year-old west Suffolk garage owner who sexually assaulted and raped three schoolgirls more than 25 years ago has been jailed for 19 years.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Suffolk's trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the Ipswich Star e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24