Heavy Showers

Heavy Showers

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

St John Ambulance urges people to learn basic first aid ahead of bonfire night

PUBLISHED: 18:42 31 October 2017 | UPDATED: 18:42 31 October 2017

St John Ambulance is urging people to learn basic first aid ahead of bonfire night. Picture: ST JOHN AMBULANCE

St John Ambulance is urging people to learn basic first aid ahead of bonfire night. Picture: ST JOHN AMBULANCE

Archant

St John Ambulance is urging people to learn some basic first aid skills ahead of the bonfire night celebrations.

Volunteers from the charity will be attending firework events across the region to ensure anyone who needs first aid gets it quickly.

However, the first aid organisation says injuries are much more likely to happen at private parties where trained volunteers are not on-hand to help.

Statistics show that thousands of people visit A&E every year for treatment of a firework-related injury but with some basic first aid skills, people can be prepared to help in a firework first aid emergency.

St John Ambulance’s free and interactive Big First Aid Lesson will air on Friday, November 3, and teachers or parents can sign up by clicking here. This year’s theme is bonfire night and how to deal with firework-related injuries.

The charity has issued the following advice for bonfire night:

• If someone gets a burn or scald:

· Move the person away from the heat

· Place the burn or scald under cool running water for 10 minutes minimum

· If the burn is to a child, larger than your hand, on the face, hands or feet, or is a deep burn, call 999/112

· Remove jewellery and clothing around the area, unless stuck to the burn

· Cover the burn loosely, lengthways with kitchen film to prevent infection

· Don’t burst blisters

· Monitor and treat for shock if necessary

· Tell them to seek medical advice.

• If someone gets something in their eye:

· Tell them not to rub it, so they don’t make it worse

· Pour clean water over their eye to wash out what’s in there and/or to cool the burn

· If this doesn’t work, try to lift the debris out with a damp corner of a clean tissue

· If this doesn’t work either, don’t touch anything that’s stuck in their eye – cover it with a clean dressing or non-fluffy material

· Then take or send them straight to hospital.

• If someone’s inhaled smoke fumes:

· Move them away from the smoke so they can breathe in some fresh air

· Help them sit down in a comfortable position and loosen any tight clothing around their neck to help them breathe normally

· If they don’t recover quickly, call 999/112 for an ambulance.

Neighbours have gathered around a police cordon in the Hadleigh Road area of Ipswich.

A balaclava-clad man brandishing a knife robbed a McColls convenience store in Ipswich.

Shopping in Ipswich has just got a little sweeter as Hotel Chocolat has opened its doors.

Six abandoned cats were discovered in a cramped carrier in woodland near Stowmarket.

An Ipswich van driver has been banned from the road after being caught speeding along the A12 on seven occasions in a month.

Celebrate all things fishy as the Woodbridge Shuck returns to Whisstocks Quayside this weekend.

The most and least popular baby names of 2017 have been revealed by the Office of National statistics, find out where your child’s name ranks and how it has fared over the past century.

Suffolk is still a very safe place to live - this is the reassurance that was offered as the latest crime rates for the town were revealed.

The Met Office has issued a new weather warning for heavy rain in Suffolk and north Essex on Sunday.

A DIY SOS-style project to improve the life of a teenager with autism and epilepsy has been completed.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Ipswich Star daily newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24