Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 14°C


Stock car leaves track and puts two in hospital during race at Foxhall Stadium

PUBLISHED: 13:04 14 June 2015 | UPDATED: 11:45 15 June 2015

Scene of an incident at the Foxhall Stadium after two people were injured. Photo: BBC Suffolk

Scene of an incident at the Foxhall Stadium after two people were injured. Photo: BBC Suffolk


Two people were taken to hospital after a stock car competing at a national event in Ipswich appeared to lose control and collide with them and a forklift truck.

The drama unfolded at Foxhall Stadium on Saturday night when the vehicle crashed on to the track’s centre green, passing tyres on the speedway track and then collided with two people and a forklift truck – three people were injured in total.

It is believed that a previous crash during the BriSCA Formula 1 final, known as the elite of short circuit oval contact racing, halted proceedings temporarily and it was after racing restarted that the incident happened, at about 9pm.

Two St John Amulance volunteers were injured, with one being taken to hospital where they had an operation yesterday. The forklift driver received stitches to a head injury.

It is understood the other ambulance volunteer was treated at the scene.

Isaac Chenery, of BBC Suffolk, was at the stadium when the incident happened.

He said: “They were just a few laps into the restart when the car in question seemed to lose control, just missing tyres on the speedway track whose purpose is to slow cars down.

“You could see the driver fighting with the car, which didn’t seem to lose speed as it entered the centre green, first hitting a marshal, then hit the St John first aider.

“A forklift truck was also knocked over and the pace car was hit.

“The race was immediately stopped and the stadium fell silent. The packed crowd applauded as both people were taken away.”

Spedeworth Motorsport, which manages the stadium and was the event promoter, released a statement on its Facebook page today.

It said: “Spedeworth would like to thank our drivers and spectators for their patience and understanding in regards to the incident in the BriSCA Formula 1 final last night.

“We would also like to apologise for having to cancel the F1 Grand National due to the time curfew.”

The statement also thanked staff at the event for their handling of the incident, adding: “We wish them both a speedy recovery.”

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service Trust said it was called to the stadium, in Foxhall Road.

The spokesman added: “An ambulance and an ambulance officer attended along with St John Ambulance. Two patients were treated at the scene.

“Not a lot is known about their injuries but we believe both were taken to Ipswich Hospital for further care.”

Sunday’s inaugural Great East Run will see 3,000 runners tackling the half marathon course around Ipswich town centre, out to Freston and back.

Officials behind the Stars of Suffolk awards are urging people to make nominations for carer of the year.

A lorry driver has been released without charge following his arrest on suspicion of drink driving after his vehicle overturned on a roundabout just outside Ipswich.

Talented graphic design students at the University of Suffolk have put pen to paper to come up with a fresh logo for a key project on their doorstep – the Ipswich Vision.

From rodeo bulls and Nirvana sing-alongs to help and advice from charities and businesses, One sixth form’s freshers’ fair was alive with activity from hundreds of students.

Police in Ipswich have been called to Dogs Head Street after reports of a man being aggressive.

The Great East Run has “endless potential” and should feature world-class runners among a 10,000-strong field well within a decade, a Team GB Olympic runner has said.

It is some time since the Labour Party went into a conference season with swagger and confidence – this year they very much do.

Doctors anticipating a severe outbreak of flu this winter are desperately urging vulnerable people in Suffolk to get vaccinated against the virus.

A person who died on the rail line near Ingatestone in Essex on Thursday has been named as 15-year-old William Tweed.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24