May 22 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, October 4, 2012
EMERGENCY services helped to treat a woman suffering from shock after lightning struck her home.
Fire crews from Stowmarket and Needham Market were called to the incident in Lavenham Way, Stowmarket, at 9.10pm last night after being alerted to the incident by Suffolk police.
Initial reports were that there had been an explosion at a house, with the noise being heard from the other side of Stowmarket.
When crews arrived at the scene they discovered it had been struck by lightning and that the gas fire and electrical fuse board had been “severely affected”.
Soon after arriving at the scene, the police and fire crews where made aware of two further homes that had been affected.
One other house had also been struck by lightning, but no damage had been caused, while another home had its power go out.
A spokesman for Suffolk Police said that they were contacted by a neighbour reporting there had been an explosion involving a house in the road, which has caused bricks to scatter across the garden of the property. The lights of the property also went off during the explosion.
He said: “We had reports the chimney had been blown out. A female occupant who was living along had left the house through the back door and was very shaken.
“Paramedics were called to check her over.
“The incident caused bricks to fly into the garden and down the chimney which then blew out the gas fire.”
The area was cordoned off while emergency services dealt with the scene and gas and electrical companies attended to ensure everything was safe.
Mid Suffolk District Council was contacted and a structural engineer was requested – the engineer is due to attend the scene this morning.