Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 19°C

min temp: 16°C

Search

Sudbury: Blocked drains lead to flooding at family home

10:30 16 August 2014

Lewis Hunt and Gemma Wintin are pictured at their home in Raleigh Road in Sudbury which was flooded back in June after a storm.

Lewis Hunt and Gemma Wintin are pictured at their home in Raleigh Road in Sudbury which was flooded back in June after a storm.

Archant

A young family forced out of their home by flooding has appealed for the authorities’ help as they face up to yet another month of disruption.

Lewis Hunt and Gemma Wintin are pictured at their home in Raleigh Road in Sudbury which was flooded back in June after a storm.Lewis Hunt and Gemma Wintin are pictured at their home in Raleigh Road in Sudbury which was flooded back in June after a storm.

Lewis Hunt, his partner Gemma Wintin and their two young children saw their house in Sudbury overcome by around a foot of floodwater in June due to overflowing drains at the front and rear of their home.

Two other properties were also flooded out, with the end-of-terrace houses in Raleigh Road all sitting on low ground.

Suffolk County Council says the drains in Raleigh Road are especially difficult, while they are going to dig up the road and explore the problem to come up with a solution.

Miss Wintin was alone with her two young children on June 29 when the water started pouring in.

“It was like a brown river coming down the garden,” she said.

“We rung the police, fire and council and they didn’t come out - three authorities didn’t want to know.”

The couple rent the house privately and had hoped to stay there long-term, but are now living with Miss Wintin’s parents.

Mr Hunt estimates the flooding has caused at least £5,000 worth of damage, but an insurance assessment has still not been carried out seven weeks after the incident.

A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said the council has a schedule for clearing drains, while engineers are sent to deal with flooded areas as quickly as possible.

He added: “We have, however, experienced particular difficulties in Raleigh Road.

“Our attempts to flush out the drainage pipes have been complicated by particular T junctions in the pipework. We’ve also sent cameras down but, again, haven’t been able to identify and clear any blockages.

“We’re now planning to excavate the ground and, potentially, build a chamber over the trouble spot so that we can access the pipework when we need to. We’re confident this will rectify the situation.”

Jackie Clarke, who lives next door, has lived at her property for 38 years and said she had been flooded three times before - twice in a week in 1987 and again in 2005.

She added: “It’s the drains, we all know that - they are inadequate. These houses should never have been built.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

A lane closure which caused miles of tailbacks on a busy Suffolk road is set to reopen today after nearly a week of delays for motorists.

A 15-year-old girl has been reported missing from Ipswich

Highways bosses say they will not condone roadworks where no work is undertaken - after the Ipswich Star encountered four locations in just ONE hour where disruption was being caused but no work taking place.

A 50 year-old man who died following a road traffic collision yesterday has been named as Stewart Mackenzie from Westleton.

Today we launch the first in a series of features looking back at Ipswich’s past - its famous faces, prestigious landmarks and the defining moments that helped shape the town.

A trio of older motorists from Suffolk have proved it is never too late to become a better driver – and urged other road users to follow in their tracks.

Community leaders say the year-long trial to allow cycling on Felixstowe’s promenade has not yet started – and people riding their bikes are breaking the law.

A man has contacted police after an image was released following an alleged assault in Bentley last month.

A Suffolk cystic fibrosis sufferer who used exercise and bodybuilding to boost his lung capacity is “delighted and relieved” after successfully completing his first ever half-marathon.

A teacher at a former Suffolk boarding school who was jailed for 21 years for sexually abusing eight pupils is seeking leave to appeal his conviction.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24