Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Suffolk: Concern voiced at inquest of man who choked on food at hospital

PUBLISHED: 10:00 22 January 2014

Ipswich Hospital

Ipswich Hospital

Archant

The family of a man who died after he choked on food given to him at Ipswich Hospital have been told that his death was “not in vain” and that “lessons will be learnt”.

Kenneth Thimblethorpe, of Roundwood Road in Ipswich, was admitted to the Heath Road site on July 22 with “severe left-sided weakness”.

A CT scan revealed that he had suffered a stroke.

He remained in the hospital and was with his brother and sister-in-law on August 12 when he was offered a selection of food.

He opted for a meal which included a fishcake. The inquest was told 
that Mr Thimblethorpe’s relatives were concerned about this because there was a sign above his bed that said he should only be given soft foods.

However, it was added during the hearing that the food had been cut up and his relatives felt that the hospital staff would “know best”.

Mr Thimblethorpe then appeared to start choking on the food and nurses and a doctor arrived at the room but they were unable to save him.

The inquest heard that Mr Thimblethorpe suffered a cardiac arrest but that the primary cause of his death was an intra-cerebral haemorrhage and not choking.

In notes discussed at the inquest, it was stated that the choking could have been a “product of the haemorrhage”.

Recording a verdict of death by natural causes, Kevin McCarthy, senior assistant coroner for Suffolk, said that concerns had been raised with the hospital.

He added: “Those concerns are being dealt with, I am glad to say, by Ipswich Hospital.

“I don’t think his death will be in vain because I have no doubt that Ipswich Hospital will look at this situation and learn its lessons from it.”

A spokeswoman for Ipswich Hospital said no further comments would be made on the inquest.

0 comments

Campaigning for the General Election both locally and nationally has been suspended in the wake of the terrorist atrocity in Manchester.

The death toll from the Manchester bomb attack has risen to 22, with 59 injured, Greater Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins said.

One of Ipswich’s most prolific pilferers has become the first shoplifter to be given a criminal behaviour order banning him from all the shops in the town centre.

Trains between Ipswich and Lowestoft were cancelled this morning, due to overrunning engineering works.

A motorist who was petrified of going to prison after committing his fourth drink-driving offence has been branded as “selfish” and “ignorant” by the mother of a Suffolk man killed by a drink-driver.

Couples thinking about having a baby are invited to meet fertility experts at an information day.

The hoardings around a new Joules store under construction in Ipswich have come away, revealing the brand’s trademark yellow facade.

Damage was caused to the windows and wing mirrors of several vehicles in Felixstowe over the weekend.

Visitors will be able to learn more about Ipswich Hospital’s vision for the future and see some of its innovative equipment in action during an open day.

Months of major roadworks on a key route into Bury St Edmunds are set to start, as a double roundabout is removed under £2.8million plans to improve roads across the town.

Most read

Most commented

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24