Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 15°C

Search

Suffolk: More communities set to be offered broadband boost

PUBLISHED: 17:33 20 January 2014 | UPDATED: 17:33 20 January 2014

Andrew Stringer

Andrew Stringer

Communities which lost out on hopes of getting better broadband have been given fresh hope after Suffolk County Council received extra funding to increase its reach.

However the decision does mean that taxpayers will be funding the provision of some broadband that had been due to set up as a commercial organisation.

Several communities across Suffolk had been included in BT’s original commercial broadband plans – and were therefore excluded from the Better Broadband for Suffolkbid by the county council.

However BT then dropped the communities from their plans – effectively meaning they were excluded from the programme.

Now new money has been allocated by the government, these communities should be in line to have broadband extended to them.

Green county councillor Andrew Stringer has several of these communities in his division, including Haughley Green and Old Newton, and has been leading calls for an extension to the broadband programme.

He said: “This does look like good news for villages who had missed out on the original scheme – but it means the work will come out of taxes rather than be a commercial scheme.”

The county said the new funding means the current target of giving 85% of premises access to superfast broadband (24Mbps or more) by 2015 will be extended so that up to 95% of the county will be able to connect to superfast fibre broadband by 2017.

County council leader Mark Bee said: “We’re only five months into the delivery of the Better Broadband for Suffolk programme and we’re already looking at how we can take it to the next level.

“I’m looking forward to this additional work getting underway and the day that slow, or non-existent, internet speeds are a thing of the past in Suffolk.”

As part of the new tendering process, the council will conduct a review of the open market to establish what broadband coverage commercial providers are planning to deliver.

Officials aim to complete the tendering process by this summer and for works to start by the end of the year.

The Better Broadband for Suffolk programme has so far given more than 11,000 properties access to superfast broadband. The programme is on track to reach its target of almost 100,000 premises by the end of 2015.

0 comments

A man has been arrested by counter-terror police at Stansted Airport on suspicion he planned on travelling to Syria.

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Tony Award-winning musical Sunset Boulevard is coming to the Ipswich Regent for a week-long run next year.

Britain is on critical terror alert with military troops set to bolster police forces amid fears Manchester attacker Salman Abedi did not act alone.

The Eiffel Tower, which plunged into darkness, was one of many landmarks across the world to honour the Manchester terror victims last night.

Advice has been issued to parents and teachers on how they should respond to children’s questions and behaviour in the event of a terrorist attack.

Better sex education at school is a key reason why teenage conception rates in Suffolk have halved in the last decade, it has been claimed.

A young Ipswich Town goalkeeper has apologised after posting “insensitive” messages on social media following the Manchester terror attack last night.

The new branch of discount homeware superstore The Range is to open at 9am next Friday – June 2.

The devastated mother of a teenage girl killed in a crash on the A47 in Suffolk has paid tribute to her daughter, who she has described as being “beautiful inside and out”.

One of Ipswich’s most prolific pilferers has become the first shoplifter to be given a criminal behaviour order banning him from all the shops in the town centre.

Most read

Most commented

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24