Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 6°C

min temp: 2°C

Search

Suffolk: Criticisms that Better Broadband deal ‘did not go far enough’

14:16 06 January 2014

Police say two of the 25 people arrested in Suffolk for indecent child abuse images were in positions of trust

Police say two of the 25 people arrested in Suffolk for indecent child abuse images were in positions of trust

A deal to bring superfast broadband to households across Suffolk has come under fire for failing rural communities.

shares

Although BT is currently delivering the Better Broadband for Suffolk (BB4S)contract ahead of schedule, some councillors claim the company should have been obliged to provide more widespread coverage when the multimillion pound deal was signed in December 2012.

Stephen Burroghes, county councillor for Framlingham, said he was “slightly annoyed” that BT had only been tied down to cover 85% of the county with the £11.8 million of taxpayers’ money already invested in the project and that more funding on top of that had been required to increase coverage further.

“We need to tighten up on our procurement,” he said in his report to Framlingham Town Council on Thursday.

Speaking after the meeting, he added: “There were some concerns that the contract did not go far enough and it could have all been tied up at the beginning, instead of having to go back to the Government for more money.”

Christopher Hudson, vice chairman at the county council, was also keen to see the full extent of the roll-out.

“I remain very optimistic that they will fulfil the contract but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating,” he said.

“I understand that it has been rolled out across cities such as Liverpool but we’re not yet seeing it all.”

A Suffolk County Council (SCC) spokesman, however, explained that BT has met all of its agreed milestones in the project.

The additional funding which was sought from government before Christmas, the spokesman said, was to increase superfast coverage above the 85% originally determined.

“SCC is working with the Government to further extend BB4S to include any premises not currently served, or planned to be served,” the spokesman said.

BT has and insisted that nobody has done more than it to bring faster broadband across the county, highlighting the £18 million it has contributed to the project.

“We are committed to continuing works to expand the deployment as widely as possible in Suffolk,” the spokesman said.

The company said its deployment was ahead of schedule and more than 10,000 homes had gained access to faster broadband in the first four months of action.

“This is just the early stages of this major programme,” the spokesman added.

“Every three months between now and the end of 2015, approximately 10,000 more properties will be given access to better broadband.”

shares

2 comments

  • I went to the launch event for the faster broadband for Suffolk campaign and well remember the council promises that the slow and no spots would get 1st priority and what has happened? BT has made the fast faster and very little for everyone else, can no one keep their promises these days?

    Report this comment

    spanner16

    Monday, January 6, 2014

  • It seems the village of Harleston (near Stowmarket) must be added to the list of villages excluded from benefitting from the £millions of SCC and Gov't money.

    Report this comment

    John Matthissen

    Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Poilce investigation work at the scene of the accident on the A12 at Martlesham Heath.

A 20-month-old little girl has died after a crash on the A12 in Martlesham yesterday, police have said.

The junior doctors strike at West Suffolk Hospital in bury.

A Suffolk hospital boss has denied supporting the imposing of a contract on junior doctors after his name appeared on the “key” letter that led to the decision.

Stock image of the area.

A teenage motorcyclist is in a critical condition in hospital after a two-vehicle crash in Ipswich last night.

The 30-acre Walton Green North field has been earmarked for housing by Suffolk Coastal.

Proposals have been put forward to build 385 new homes on the edge of Felixstowe – opposite another field where permission has been granted for 190.

Former footballer Marcus Bent. Pic: Steve Parsons/PA Wire.

Former Ipswich Town footballer Marcus Bent has escaped being sent to jail as he was sentenced for confronting two officers with a meat cleaver and a kitchen knife while in a “delusional” state under the influence of cocaine.

Collateral Drawing exhibition at UCS

Launch of `I Spy Drawing’ Family Art Club

Damaged Bus stop in Woodbridge Rd Ipswich

A 21-year-old man has been charged with drink-driving after a car crashed into a bus shelter on the outskirts of Ipswich town centre today.

UCS Clearing possible cover

Just a few months into their course they helped people with life-threatening conditions, unwell patients and, on one occasion, even helped to deliver a baby.

Land off Railway Approach in Felixstowe where a new 30,000sq ft superstore was to be built.

Proposals for new homes have sounded the death knell for hopes of a supermarket and transport interchange in the town centre.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24