Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 4°C

Search

Supreme Court rejects fresh appeal over Adastral Park homes

17:37 15 May 2015

Martlesham Heath and Adastral Park

Martlesham Heath and Adastral Park

Archant

Protesters’ hopes of taking their bid to block 2,000 new homes to the Supreme Court have been dashed after their latest legal challenge was dismissed.

No Adastral New Town (NANT) has been fighting the project planned for land at BT’s Adastral Park complex at Martlesham Heath.

The group had already lost two prominent cases in the High Court and Appeal Court against Suffolk Coastal’s local plan, and had been hoping for leave to take a fresh case to the Supreme Court, the highest court in the land, to have the previous decisions overturned.

A spokeswoman for NANT said last night that the group was “incredibly disappointed” and would be meeting their lawyer Richard Buxton to discuss the decision and the way forward.

Suffolk Coastal welcomed the Supreme Court’s refusal to hear a fresh appeal and said hopefully this would now leave the way clear for the authority to push ahead with the implementation of its local plan – creating much-needed new homes and jobs across the district.

Geoff Holdcroft, cabinet member for planning, said: “We welcome the latest decision and hope that this will bring an end to this protracted legal process, which has already created a completely unnecessary delay to implementation of the plan to provide new homes and jobs in Suffolk Coastal.

“The local plan has already been examined in detail and validated through two court cases.

“These came after we spent nearly a decade developing the plan, during which time it was open to public scrutiny and comment, before being given the final seal of approval by the independent Planning Inspectorate.

“We hope that we can now put all this negative speculation and uncertainty behind us in order to push forward with implementing the local plan, which lays out in detail how we will work with the community to ensure the vitality of the local economy through providing job opportunities and much-needed new homes, particularly for young families and low wage earners in the district.”

NANT, which was ordered to pay £10,000 in legal costs after the failure of its action in the Court of Appeal, had argued that Suffolk Coastal failed in its legal obligations when it approved its Core Strategy, allocating the site near the River Deben for the extensive development, and that its process to choose the Adastral Park site was flawed.

5 comments

  • Well, 'Deeber', you have to say "and you voted for them" four times to be correct just once.

    Report this comment

    Johnthebap

    Saturday, May 16, 2015

  • I agree with the others and hope NANT switch tactics now ..time for some sort of compromise and get something you need built..!..Do not come away empty handed..We all hate change but the re election of the tory government means building everywhere. ..and you voted for them.

    Report this comment

    deeber

    Saturday, May 16, 2015

  • This is good news all round. As part of the development I understand there is a requirement to upgrade this part of the A12 and fund primary and secondary school provision. This also takes pressure off persuing further development around Kesgrave which has been over developed in the recent past.

    Report this comment

    amsterdam81

    Friday, May 15, 2015

  • We need new homes and developments and they have to be built somewhere. Having said that, infratructure in that area needs a big overhaul and this will only make an already bad problem worse. The Foxhall Rd and both the Martlesham Heath roundabouts are huge bottlenecks especially around the BT roundabout at rush hour. They need underpasses and if you're not just going to move the bottleneck to the Park and Ride roundabout, which also has traffic lights on the roundabout, an underpass there too. None of which will be done until things become chaos. Why are things always done the wrong way round?

    Report this comment

    Esco Fiasco

    Friday, May 15, 2015

  • Good news.

    Report this comment

    Ipswich Entrepreneur

    Friday, May 15, 2015

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Ipswich’s MP has said work must continue to provide the town with alternative routes for diverted Orwell Bridge traffic in the wake of yesterday’s closure.

Pianos collectively worth £50,000 are being given away to schools and community groups.

Nearly 11 hours after it was closed, motorists are now able to use the Orwell Bridge.

Ipswich was again forced to deal with the disruption caused by an Orwell Bridge closure yesterday as Storm Doris wreaked havoc across East Anglia.

Storm Doris descended on Suffolk yesterday causing disruption, damage and travel misery for thousands.

Looking for days out, with or without children, this weekend? Here we bring you our weekly round up of days out ideas.

It’s not too late to book tickets and take in a great show this March. Suffolk’s theatres offer a wide range of performances to choose from with something for everyone including music, comedy, plays and wrestling.

Rush hour rail travellers at Ipswich, Stowmarket and Colchester stations, as well as all along the East Suffolk Line, are being frustrated by disruption caused by Storm Doris.

A man from Ipswich has been taken into police custody by officers investigating a stabbing.

UK Power Networks is working to restore power to thousands of homes across East Anglia after damage caused by today’s high winds.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24