Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 12°C

Search

Twenty charged in cyber fraud probe which includes Suffolk £1million victim

PUBLISHED: 09:45 04 March 2016 | UPDATED: 09:46 04 March 2016

Charges over cyber crime fraud

Charges over cyber crime fraud

Twenty people have been charged over an alleged national bank cyber-fraud scam which included a Suffolk company being duped out of just over £1million.

The Felixstowe-based business handed over the money after a bogus caller was said to have contacted staff on September 16 last year telling them there was a virus on the firm’s internet banking facility.

Police said the company was advised money in its accounts should be transferred into separate holding accounts while the bank rectified the issue.

The suspect managed to disguise his own telephone number to show the number of the bank’s fraud team which was on their website.

The caller managed to gain the staff member’s trust and instructed them to download remote access software on the firm’s computer. This enabled the suspect to allegedly transfer money from the company’s account.

On September 28 a 32-year-old man from Chiswick was arrested during an investigation by Suffolk’s Cyber-Crime Unit. However, he is not one of those to be charged. A spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said the suspect remains on bail until May.

As the inquiry progressed it branched out into a nationwide probe with similar alleged frauds elsewhere in the country said to be linked.

The Metropolitan Police’s Falcon cyber crime and fraud team took over the investigation, resulting in 20 men and women are from east and west London, Cardiff, Luton, and Scotland being charged with various offences.

The Met Police has said the charges include conspiracy to defraud, possession of fraudulent articles, and conspiracy to commit money-laundering offences. Some of those charged have pleaded guilty and are awaiting sentence, while others face trials at Southwark Crown Court and Snaresbrook Crown Court in April and June.

One of the men awaiting trial was extradited from France in December after being detained on a European Arrest Warrant at Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris, on November 13. He was arrested by French police on November 19 on the warrant issued by Westminster Magistrates’ Court.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

A man has been charged with possessing an imitation firearm, with intent to cause fear of violence, following an incident in Ipswich on Thursday.

In the past week children across East Anglia exited school gates sheepishly clutching brown envelopes with a look of dread writ large across their faces.

The family of missing Corrie McKeague are “devastated” by the news that they may now never know what has happened to the 23-year-old RAF gunner, after police called off a 20-week landfill search.

The family of a seven-year-old girl from Bury St Edmunds in urgent need of a stem cell transplant is calling for as many people as possible to join the register.

Firefighters faced the difficult job of containing a blaze that broke out in several isolated parts of a Suffolk field.

Police have abandoned their search of a landfill site after 20 weeks looking for the body of missing airman Corrie McKeague.

Owners of Felixstowe pier have announced that the new building will open to the public this month.

Children and staff at Sprites Primary School in Ipswich have said a fond farewell two long-running staff members.

Ipswich’s New Wolsey Theatre is set to get a new roof in a bid to cure persistent problems with leaks that have continued for many years.

Meat cleavers, machetes and axes are among dozens of dangerous weapons seized by police from children under 18 in Suffolk over the past year.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24