Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 4°C

min temp: 2°C

Search

UK: Rolf Harris guilty of 12 sex assaults on four women

15:20 30 June 2014

Rolf Harris with his CBE in 2006. Photo: Jordan/PA Wire

Rolf Harris with his CBE in 2006. Photo: Jordan/PA Wire

Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris saw his decades in the spotlight end in disgrace today as he was found guilty of indecent assault.

The 84-year-old, once a much-loved artist and musician, was convicted at Southwark Crown Court of 12 sex charges involving four women.

His army of supporters, including suited security guards and representatives from PR giant Bell Pottinger who attended every day of the trial, could do nothing to change the verdict of the jury of six men and six women.

Once seen by a UK audience as a national treasure, Harris had enjoyed years of success, netting him a multi-million pound fortune and the chance to paint the Queen.

But the downfall of an entertainer who was part of millions of British childhoods came today, as Harris became the biggest scalp claimed by detectives from high profile sex crime investigation Operation Yewtree.

Dozens more alleged victims have come forward during the trial, including several in Australia, and Scotland Yard has been in touch with their counterparts in the Australian police, but it is not yet clear whether they are pursuing any investigation in Harris’s home country.

The NSPCC said it has received 28 calls relating to Harris to date, involving 13 people who claim they fell prey to the performer.

The performer was released on bail until Friday when he will be sentenced.

Justice Sweeney warned the 84-year-old that given the conviction on all 12 counts it was “inevitable” that a custodial sentence would be possible.

“He must understand that”, he said, to which Harris’s barrister Sonia Woodley replied: “He does appreciate that”.

A stand-off with a man believed to be armed in Crowfield which has been ongoing since 11.15pm on Monday has been resolved peacefully, police have said.

Marks & Spencer is expanding its food store in Martlesham Heath - adding nearly two thirds more shopping space to the food hall.

People must take flood warnings seriously, the Prime Minister has said after the region was put on high alert over a tidal surge last week.

This morning, in the wake of the most humiliating night in Ipswich Town’s history, we ask - is it time for boss Mick McCarthy to go?

A 150-year-old tree which has towered above a Suffolk railway line for decades will be no more by the end of this week

The number of visitors to the council-owned museums in Ipswich and Colchester fell significantly last year.

Community leaders will decide next week whether to create one, large “super district” delivering services to people in east Suffolk – and ask the Government to approve the project.

A new system should be put in place now to recruit migrant workers from across the world to pick East Anglia’s fruit and vegetables, MPs have been told.

Council house rents across Ipswich are set to fall by 1% from April as part of a government scheme to reduce the cost of social housing.

More than 140 drink-drivers were caught in Suffolk during the police’s December crackdown, nearly double the number detained Norfolk, according to figures released today.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24