Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 22°C

min temp: 16°C

Search

Update: Suffolk nurse Will Pooley reveals he feared he would die from deadly ebola virus as he is discharged from hospital

17:37 03 September 2014

Will Pooley during today's press conference at the Royal Free Hospital 

Photo: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire

Will Pooley during today's press conference at the Royal Free Hospital Photo: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire

The Suffolk man treated for the deadly Ebola virus has been discharged from the Royal Free Hospital in north London.

Will Pooley during a press conference at the Royal Free Hospital in north London, where thanked staff at the hospital for the "world-class care" as he prepared to be discharged.Will Pooley during a press conference at the Royal Free Hospital in north London, where thanked staff at the hospital for the "world-class care" as he prepared to be discharged.

Volunteer nurse Will Pooley, from Eyke, became the first Briton to catch the virus while working in Sierra Leone.

At a press conference this morning, he thanked staff at the Royal Free Hospital in London for the “world-class care” he received, saying he feels “wonderfully lucky” to have survived.

And he said his symptoms had not progressed to the worst stages of the disease.

He has been treated with the experimental drug ZMapp, and earlier this week his family said he seemed to be “pretty well”.

He said he had feared for his life after being diagnosed with the virus and woken by doctors in protective clothing.

“I was worried I was going to die.”

The treatment he received was a world away from that being used to treat those with Ebola in west Africa, Mr Pooley said.

He was flown back to London and treated at the Hampstead hospital with the experimental ZMapp drug, which was used successfully to treat two Americans who contracted the disease.

He said: “I was very lucky in several ways, firstly in the standard of care that I received, which is a world apart from what people are receiving in west Africa, despite various organisations’ best efforts.

“I had amazing care, which was one difference.

“The other difference is that my symptoms never progressed to the worst stage of the disease - people I have seen dying horrible deaths. I had some unpleasant symptoms but nothing compared to some of the worst of the disease, especially when people are dying.”

He did not even vomit, he said, but had suffered high temperatures and some stomach problems.

Mr Pooley had been airlifted back to Britain by a specially equipped C17 RAF jet, and treated in a specialist isolation ward at the hospital in Hampstead.

Related articles

8 comments

  • Very glad he has survived, but it seem rather early to release him from hospital, hope he has completely got rid of the virus for all our sakes..

    Report this comment

    dahlia

    Wednesday, September 3, 2014

  • Ebola and the press has been pure scaremongering. Every year around 20k people die in the USA from regular flu! Yet ebola is 10% of that figure but a daily conversation topic.

    Report this comment

    Rory Breaker

    Wednesday, September 3, 2014

  • and so began the spread throughout Britain.

    Report this comment

    Lee Davies

    Wednesday, September 3, 2014

  • Brave?! More like stupid and selfish. Others lives put at risk as a result of his actions. Added to which his efforts have cost the healthcare system thousands if not milluons.

    Report this comment

    Rory Breaker

    Wednesday, September 3, 2014

  • to early to be discharged , hope he has recovered , for our sakes.

    Report this comment

    TERENCE MANNING

    Wednesday, September 3, 2014

  • to early to be discharged , hope he has recovered for all our sakes.

    Report this comment

    TERENCE MANNING

    Wednesday, September 3, 2014

  • So glad you are safe and well. Brave young man...well done! x

    Report this comment

    Barbara Hirst

    Wednesday, September 3, 2014

  • So glad you are safe and well. Brave young man...well done! x

    Report this comment

    Barbara Hirst

    Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

A 62-year-old motorcyclist who died at the scene of a two vehicle collision near RAF Barnham on Thursday has been named as Peter Hancock from Sudbury.

It’s been nearly 50 years since women workers at Ford’s Dagenham plant went on strike for equal rights, writes Wayne Savage.

Police have released an e-fit image of a man they want to speak to in connection to a burglary in Braintree.

A fire engine from Ipswich’s Princes Street station was called to extinguish a fire in a pile of rubbish this morning.

Daniel O’Donnell superfans queued up at the Regent Theatre in Ipswich this morning to grab a ticket to see their idol - some getting there as soon as 5am to secure a seat near the front.

Jeremy Corbyn has been re-elected as the leader of the Labour Party.

Parents of an Ipswich boy who died due to an optometrist’s negligence have pledged their support to a campaign to raise eye health awareness, hoping it will prevent a similar tragedy.

Border patrols are reported to have been stepped up along Suffolk’s coast following widespread criticism of the slow response to a recent people smuggling investigation.

Firefighters have been called to a small rubbish fire in Princes Street, Ipswich.

Police are investigating after a 12-year-old boy was approached in Ipswich.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24