Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 18°C

Search

Some ‘still don’t care’ – but police aim to rid road of mobile phone scourge

PUBLISHED: 17:04 22 January 2018 | UPDATED: 10:55 23 January 2018

Jane Storey and Police and Crime Commissioner Tim Passmore with the road casualty reduction team at the launch of Operation Ringtone. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Jane Storey and Police and Crime Commissioner Tim Passmore with the road casualty reduction team at the launch of Operation Ringtone. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Police hit the streets to remind motorists that using a mobile phone while driving can be deadly.

Police at the launch of Operation Ringtone in Ipswich. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWNPolice at the launch of Operation Ringtone in Ipswich. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Operation Ringtone was launched at Ipswich waterfront on Monday by the police and crime commissioner, road casualty reduction team and the county council’s highways chief.

The campaign includes a week of patrols in marked and unmarked vehicles fitted with cameras, as part of an effort to combat the ‘Fatal 4’ main factors in collisions resulting in death and serious injury (speeding, seatbelts, mobile devices and drink/drug driving).

Sergeant Scott Lee-Amies, of the serious collision investigation team, said every officer at the launch had dealt with a fatal road collision at some point in their policing careers.

“Unfortunately, we’re seeing more and more instances of people involved in road traffic collisions as a result of being distracted in their cars,” he added.

“Mobile phone use is still one of the main factors we’re trying to address.

“If you do it, we will stop you and you will be dealt with.

Sergeant Scott Lee-Amies. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWNSergeant Scott Lee-Amies. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

“We want to make it as socially unacceptable as drink-driving.

“For some, the habit of going to their phone when bored continues in the car.

“Hard-hitting campaigns are effective for most of the public but there remains a group of people who just don’t care.”

Last year, 1,179 penalty notices were issued in Suffolk for driving while using a mobile phone with 62 people caught during the last week of action in July.

Penalties were also increased to six penalty points and a £200 fine.

Police and crime commissioner, Tim Passmore said: “Using a mobile phone at the wheel is reckless and costs lives.

“I hope the increased penalties will be the catalyst for change.”

Jane Storey, Suffolk County Council’s highways and transport boss, and chairman of the Suffolk Roadsafe Board, said: “The council is very concerned with road safety, and anything that keeps the highways and roads of Suffolk safer is brilliant.

“It’s incredible the amount of people who still ignore the law.”

Operation Ringtone coincides with a nationwide campaign led by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC).

Lawbreakers can be reported on the Suffolk police website, which allows people to submit dash cam footage as supporting evidence.

Members of the public are being advised not to approach a Hollesley Bay prisoner, who has absconded.

A man was arrested on suspicion of drug driving after his vehicle was stopped due to way it was being driving.

An Ipswich woman will appear on Channel 5’s Blind Date TV show this Saturday in hope of finding love accompanied by her guinea pig.

Ipswich Borough Council leader DAVID ELLESMERE writes about what needs to happen to solve Britain’s housing crisis.

An army veteran from Colchester who lost both legs in a bomb blast in Afghanistan has become an ambassador for an independent road safety charity.

Campaigners are calling for more scrutiny of police after strip-searches more than doubled over six years in Suffolk.

From some special results to the birthday of Beano check out these five stories you may have missed this week.

The sale of household coal could be phased out and wet wood sales restricted in a bid to cut down on pollution from people lighting fireplaces in their homes.

The eighth annual One Big Multicultural Festival will be held on Sunday September 2 in Ipswich’s Alexandra Park.

A married couple from Suffolk will attempt to break the record for the fastest husband and wife crossing of the English channel to raise awareness of ocean plastic pollution.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Ipswich Star daily newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24