Woodbridge: Driver to face court after rail crash probe
12:01 11 April 2011
WOODBRIDGE: A 46-year-old man is due to appear in court after a train was in collision with a car on a level crossing.
Following a British Transport Police investigation which spanned a four-month period, the man – understood to be Jonathan Dawson, of St John’s Street, Woodbridge – has been summonsed to court.
Mr Dawson will be formally charged with dangerous driving when he appears before Ipswich magistrates.
The incident occurred when a black BMW X5 and train were in collision near the junction of Lime Kiln Road and Deben Road, in Woodbridge at about 2.25pm on December 13 last year.
No-one was injured as a result of the collision which happened on the East Suffolk line.
However, the crash left the B1438 Quay Side at Woodbridge partially blocked both ways at Deben Road for more than two hours due to accident investigation work.
Passengers were allowed off the train at about 3.45pm and picked up by bus to continue their journey.
At the time Rebecca Milan, from Beccles, who was travelling to London, said: “There was a bang. Luckily the train was going quite slowly. When we stopped I looked out of the window and saw the car squashed between the train and a sign. I couldn’t believe my eyes.
The train involved, the 1.08pm Lowestoft to Ipswich National Express East Anglia service, remained upright and on the tracks following the collision.
A spokeswoman for the British Transport Police has confirmed a man is to be prosecuted as a result of the incident.
The spokeswoman said: “A 46-year-old man has been reported for alleged dangerous driving under the Road Traffic Act.
“He has been summonsed to appear before the South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich in due course.”