Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 16°C


Worlingworth: Family’s search for answers continues after they’re left ‘totally unsatisfied’ with court ruling

PUBLISHED: 10:09 15 February 2014

Bethany, Linda and David Skeet wore red to Ipswich Crown Court on Friday, 14 February to signify their broken hearts while hearing the verdict of Matthew Skeet's death in 2010.

Bethany, Linda and David Skeet wore red to Ipswich Crown Court on Friday, 14 February to signify their broken hearts while hearing the verdict of Matthew Skeet's death in 2010.

The family of a teenage workman killed on a construction site in Suffolk have vowed to continue their search for answers after a judge’s sentencing left them “totally unsatisfied”.

Matthew Skeet, 19, died when the wall of a barn he was helping to convert in Worlingworth, near Framlingham, collapsed, crushing him and his employer Kevin Ruffles, 57, in October 2010.

Those responsible for safety failings on the site where the two men died were yesterday fined a total of £60,000 and ordered to pay combined costs of a further £20,000.

Mr Justice Rabinder Singh, sentencing at Ipswich Crown Court, said the fines “cannot and do not attempt to put a value on the loss of human life”.

“Nothing which I say can provide adequate comfort to the family of Mr Ruffles or Mr Skeet,” he added.

However the Skeet family, from Woodbridge, have despaired at what they believe is the impotence of the justice system.

Although the safety failings were not directly attributed to the deaths, Linda Skeet, Matthew’s mother, said the fines were “comical”, a “failure of justice” and had tainted her son’s memory.

“My son was wiped off the face of the earth through no fault of his own and it seems as though his life was barely worth a penny,” she said.

“We’re not satisfied that justice has been done and we won’t rest until we feel that it has been.

“Matty was the innocent party in all of this and yet no one seems to have been held fully accountable for his death.”

Barry Potts, 65, a structural engineer from Freston, was fined £15,000 and ordered to pay £5,000 in costs for his part in safety failings on the site leading up to the fatal accident.

Elliston Steady & Hawes (Building) Ltd, the site contractor, was fined £45,000 and ordered to pay a further £15,000 in costs at the hearing.

The court heard that Mr Skeet and Mr Ruffles had died when the barn’s gable wall fell on them following the excavation of a trench which undermined its foundations.

Investigators for the Health and Safety Executive had determined that there was “no rational explanation” for Potts to agree to the excavation being carried out in the method suggested by Mr Ruffles.

Judge Singh said Potts had “failed to consider the inherent dangers of the area being investigated” and held a “fundamental misunderstanding of the risks involved”.

“He fell far below the standards expected of him by the health and safety at work act,” he ruled.

Judge Singh agreed with the company’s defence that it was “entitled to rely on” Potts in maintaining the site safety.

However he said there had been a “serious breach” in safety because of its failure to ensure the correct method statement were produced.

“I accept that (the company) failed in its responsibilities to properly manage the project and put appropriate mechanisms in place and this was not simply a failure of documents being in place,” he said.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

The first weekend of the school summer holiday got off to a wet start this morning with festival goers waking up to grey skies and rain at Jimmy’s Farm, near Ipswich.

A man who tried to import a child sex doll into the UK through Stansted Airport and was then found to have more than 35,000 indecent images of children has been spared prison.

A Bramford motorcyclist who has admitted causing the death of his pillion passenger through dangerous driving by having a defective rear tyre has been warned he could be jailed.

A man has been charged with possessing an imitation firearm, with intent to cause fear of violence, following an incident in Ipswich on Thursday.

In the past week children across East Anglia exited school gates sheepishly clutching brown envelopes with a look of dread writ large across their faces.

The family of missing Corrie McKeague are “devastated” by the news that they may now never know what has happened to the 23-year-old RAF gunner, after police called off a 20-week landfill search.

The family of a seven-year-old girl from Bury St Edmunds in urgent need of a stem cell transplant is calling for as many people as possible to join the register.

Firefighters faced the difficult job of containing a blaze that broke out in several isolated parts of a Suffolk field.

Police have abandoned their search of a landfill site after 20 weeks looking for the body of missing airman Corrie McKeague.

Owners of Felixstowe pier have announced that the new building will open to the public this month.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24