Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 14°C

Search

The pigs have arrived. See the latest

Pigs Gone Wild

news here.

Wyverstone: Village is shocked by bomb squad drama

13:12 22 April 2014

Police are continuing investigations at an address in Wyverstone following the discovery of a number of weapons at a home earlier this week.

Police are continuing investigations at an address in Wyverstone following the discovery of a number of weapons at a home earlier this week.

Archant

Controlled explosions were carried out yesterday in the Suffolk village at the centre of a firearms investigation which has shocked the community.

Suffolk Constabulary’s Sergeant Jon Taylor said the bomb squad had been called to “dispose of some produce” that had been found at the property in Wyverstone, near Stowmarket, following investigations, which began last Sunday, April 13.

Several loud bangs echoed across quiet countryside shortly after 4pm as residents neighbouring the home of parish council chairman James Arnold looked on in disbelief.

Arnold, who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, is facing two charges of assault and four counts of possession of a prohibited weapon. The weapons charges relate to an Uzi machine gun, AK47 assault rifle, a bolt-action shotgun and a self-loading rifled gun.

Appearing before magistrates in Ipswich yesterday, the 49-year-old husband and father entered no plea to the weapons charges and was deemed too ill to enter pleas over the assault charges.

Police first attended the address in Potash Road on Sunday, April 13, following reports of an assault.

Officers arrested Arnold and searched the property.

Neighbours say the days which followed have been a “nightmare” of uncertainties.

One, who gave his name only as David, said: “No-one is telling us anything, they won’t say how long it’s going on for, whether there’s any danger or anything,” he said.

“It’s been like this for the past week, it all goes quiet then all of a sudden everything kicks off, the police move in and all hell breaks loose.

“It’s been a total nightmare.”

Anne and Rob Hornsblow, who live with their children just metres from the property, said the police had told them what information they could, although they still felt unsure of exactly what was going on.

“Everyone in the village is wondering what’s going,” said Mrs Hornsblow.

“There’s a lot more talking going on and everyone seems to be taking their dogs for a walk outside our house to see what’s been happening.”

Other villagers, who refused to give their name, say they have been told to expect the heavy police presence to remain in the village for another fortnight while further searches are carried out of Arnold’s four-and-a-half acre garden.

“We are mystified really,” said one man.

Sgt Taylor said the investigation had “far reaching implications” for the whole force, with officers drafted in from across the county.

Although he said there was some information that could not be made public, he added that officers had carried out “an awful lot of work” with the local community to keep them informed where possible.

Arnold will appear before Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court on April 28 for a further hearing on the assault charges.

He is due before Ipswich Crown Court on May 1 for a hearing into the weapons charges.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Sizewell C

EDF’s chief executive has said the company is “ready” to start building Hinkley Point C as soon as the Government gives the go-ahead.

Police have been called to a collision between a Ford Focus and a Ford Fiesta near to the Suffolk Ski Centre.

Samuel and Darren Noller at the Eiffel Tower, Paris

A father and son cycling duo raised more than £3,000 for a Suffolk charity helping women struggling with addiction.

Sir Stanley Rous

Sir Alf Ramsey wasn’t the only Suffolk knight to have a key role in the World Cup Final of 1966.

Motorcyclist banned

A handyman has lost his driving licence after police saw him speeding on his motorbike while over the drug-drive limit.

Team manager Alf Ramsey and trainer Harold Sheperdson (standing) watch England's victory over Germany in the 1966 World Cup

On the 50th anniversary of his greatest triumph, we are today celebrating Sir Alf Ramsey, the man who inspired both Ipswich Town and England to extraordinary levels of success and glory.

Millions of pounds are lost each year in our region due to people wasting medicines. Photo credit should read: Ben Birchall/PA Wire

Suffolk health chiefs are urging people to buy their own treatments after they spent £3.4 million on “wasted medicines” in the past year.

Jubilee Meadow and Orchard, in Bredfield, near Woodbridge, received Keep Britain Tidy’s Green Flag Community Award. Planting the young orchard trees on a raw March day.

A Suffolk village will be flying the standard for top quality parks and gardens after receiving Keep Britain Tidy’s Green Flag Community Award.

The 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment marched through Woodbridge Market Hill to mark 10 years of being based just outside the town at Rock Barracks.

Crowds of people lined the streets of a Suffolk town to salute locally based soldiers.

Fraudster must now pay back £183,000

The kingpin behind internet escort and debt elimination scams which fleeced £5.7million from 17,300 victims has had the amount he must pay back reduced from £750,000 to £183,000.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24