DJ Campbell will NOT be signing for Ipswich Town
PUBLISHED: 14:40 18 January 2013 | UPDATED: 15:19 18 January 2013
PAGEPIX LTD 07976 935738
IPSWICH Town manager Mick McCarthy has revealed that DJ Campbell will NOT be signing for the club on a permanent basis.
The Blues boss was keen to sign the 31-year-old striker from QPR after he scored 10 goals in 17 games during a recent loan spell.
However, McCarthy revealed at this lunchtime’s press conference that Campbell has agreed to sign a three-year deal elsewhere, with Cardiff, Hull and Crystal Palace having all been linked in recent weeks.
“I spoke to DJ yesterday and, as far as I’m aware, he’s going to a club,” said McCarthy. “If that’s not public then I’m not going to tell you where that is, but he won’t be coming back here.
“Listen, good luck to him. I think he’s going to be getting a three-year deal that would take him up to 34/35 – and that means he can look after himself and his family.
“We give him out best wishes because he was great for us. He’s such a lovely guy and a real nice man. I hope he gets what he wants for himself and his family.” He continued: “I wanted him back, but that disappointment is slightly tempered by the fact that I always knew what the score might be. You can see that by the fact I signed two strikers (David McGoldrick and Aaron Mclean) the week he left.
“I thought, having played here and done so well, he would have attracted the attention of someone else who would be in a better position to offer him a three-year deal.”
Shortly after the news was made public, Campbell wrote on social networking site Twitter: “2all ipswich fans it was a pleasure 2play 4 ipswich!! Its a shame I couldn’t stay long-term but I truly wish u all the best god bless u all.”
Asked of he was closing in on any new arrivals, McCarthy said: “No, we’re not. We’ll keep looking and keep talking, but there’s nothing happening at the moment.”
Nottingham Forest keeper Lee Camp and Colchester United midfielder Anthony Wordsworth are both understood to be targets, but when asked what he could say about the duo, McCarthy quipped: “One’s a midfield player and the other’s a goalkeeper. Even if there was something to say, I wouldn’t.”
Yesterday it emerged that Blackburn Rovers could look to recall Bradley Orr when his loan spell is at an end on January 26, despite having previously agreed to an extension to the end of the season.
McCarthy says the situation will become clearer once the next two matches are out of the way, saying: “It’s to be seen yet. I’ll deal with the two games (home to Barnsley and away to Bristol City) and then we’ll see.
“I think (new Blackburn manager) Michael Appleton probably does want to have a look at him, but let’s get these games out of the way. If I was him I’d be wanting to do it because I’d want all the players in. I want Bradley focused on our games, whatever happens.”
Meanwhile, the Town boss confirmed that neither of the triallists involved in Monday’s Under-21 game at Charlton – Moldovan international defender Petru Racu and Banbury United winger Kynan Isaac – have been kept on.
He also said there is nothing new regarding Josh Carson or Jason Scotland moving on, the duo having been made available for a loan and permanent transfer respectively.
Elsewhere, former Blues striker and coach Chris Kiwomya has been linked with the vacant manager’s job at Blue Square Bet Premier side Tamworth.
– Ipswich Town staff are currently working hard to ensure that tomorrow’s home game against Barnsley goes ahead, with heavy snow forecast later. Keep checking this website for the latest news.