YOUNG duo Luke Hyam and Ronan Murray have been handed a boost by Blues boss Paul Jewell after being told they would be offered new one-year deals.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The pair are both out of contract this summer and it seemed likely both would be leaving Ipswich in search for regular football.

But after Hyam, 20, forced his way back into Jewell’s thinking – impressing against Blackpool on Saturday – he is now set to be rewarded with the offer of a 12-month contract.

And Murray is an even bigger surprise after Swindon boss Paolo Di Canio told of his desire to sign the striker following his successful loan spell with the Robins.

Town have since rejected a bid from Swindow, believed to be around £100,000, and have quickly moved to show Murray he still has a future at Portman Road.

And with Tamas Priskin being released yesterday, Murray, also 20, will be hopeful of pushing for a place on the bench for Saturday’s trip to Leeds United.

The double contract bid comes just 24 hours after fellow youngster Josh Carson was offered a three-year deal.

In his desire to retain and recruit more youth to this squad, Jewell will be hoping there are no hitches when it comes to tying down all three to new contracts.

20 comments

  • Frank, if he is listening, it is to posters like myself, who have been saying these things for the entire time he has been here. The other day you were critical of us, so how do you manage to praise Jewell for admitting a mistake, and simultaneously criticise those of us who he has listened to? Are you some sort of ex-pat juggler? A fair point I think. The same can also be said of the EADT who are now providing a more balanced and responsible approach to the activities of ME. Maybe ME, or someone in his office has read the EADT and taken on board the comments made by myself and others. if that is the case, and we have no way of knowing, would that not be a greater act of support than merely taking the Micawber approach of something will turn up? Anyway, food for thought. For the record, this is clearly a step in the right direction, although it shows that previously we were running in the wrong direction, and alienating our supporters. IF ME has taken note of the feedback of myself and others, and it works, then maybe a few complimentary season tickets for next season would be an appropriate reward.

    Report this comment

    Kevin Bailey

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • Frank, you can agree that PJ is only making these decisions due to his complete and utter failing so far as ITFC Manager?

    Report this comment

    Sid Tractorgirls

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • Frank, you can agree that PJ is only making these decisions due to his complete and utter failing so far as ITFC Manager?

    Report this comment

    Sid Tractorgirls

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • It is difficult to be negative when the club actually starts to make decisions that make sense, but this was obvious a year ago. I'm pleased that Jewell is taking responsibility& I am glad that ME is acknowledging mistakes were made. I am still absolutely certain that Jewell is a terrible manager, albeit an apparently nice person. I am sure that we would be in a better position under someone else, I just guess it will depend on how long Clegg and ME take to realise that we will never make it close to the Play Offs under Jewell, let alone promotion. Really pleased youth are getting their time, though... lets hope this tact continues (even if we lose a couple). Youth equals the future of ITFC.

    Report this comment

    I am Spartacus

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • @Sid Tractorgirls: I don’t know if Frank will agree with your supposition, but I think it is a tad unfair. PJ so far has had one full transfer window (he came in in the middle of one and realistically that can’t be counted). To spot young talent requires an extensive scouting network which by all accounts has only recently been re-established (an indication of progress – getting the fundamentals in place?) so in the last window the club had to rely on ‘known’ names. I do agree this didn’t work well, but we should remember PJ had a very poor start in his first year at Wigan. By the way, Kevin Bailey, re your comment yesterday that PJ has not really achieved much in the last 10 years, he managed Wigan through 2002 to 2006 when they were promoted from Division 2 to the Premiership. To my way of counting that is somewhat less than 10 years ago.

    Report this comment

    Chris Hampshire

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • Kevin you seem confused about counting one to ten in more ways than one. If you use your left hand you will see that Jewell is getting more than a second chance after failing at his previous two jobs.

    Report this comment

    Rob Steroo

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • @ Chris Hampshire re: transfer window utilisation. I think this is a weak argument, tbh. Jewell knew right from the start we needed several players in, and certainly a couple of DC's, a RB, A LB, a wide Midfielder, a Box-to-box MC and a Striker- He admitted this and, bearing in mind Norris and McCauly were leaving, he had long warning. He then had 7 full months to souce these players (From Jan to August). He must have lots of contacts in the game (he is experienced after all- which is how Clegg tried to sell it to the fans), so creating a list of players must have been pretty easy- say 15 for each position etc. In fact, quite the contrary to the difficult job some are portraying, it is almost a great position for a new manager. He has a clean slate effectively, the opportunity to bring in all players HE wants. The chance to choose a formation you really want and then bring players in to suit it. Did he do that? Not in any noticeable way- which is why we ended up with older players, loans and a distinct lack of cohesion alligned with a lack of formation certainty. As far as what PJ achieved at WiganBradford, I don't really care. He hasn't shown an appreciation of the 'Ipswich Way' (ie. cultivation of youth) and has wasted a LOT of cash on high waged loans and non-playing players contracts. He may of done well before with that strategy but until I see differently I have to assume the success before was down to luck rather than judgement. That said, I'm happy to applaud when I consider good management and the sudden realisation that youth is the way forward is a good step. I just hope it isn't the last good one....

    Report this comment

    I am Spartacus

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • ged......your insults aimed at Jewell, who is universally liked, demonstrate that you're out of touch. Also, we have signed nobody yet, we are just having bids for younger players turned down, that's all. Steroo...I can assure you, that I would not need to communicate with you using analogue, I could convey my message digitally, from either hand, being ambi-dextrous. Which actually means, both right-handed.

    Report this comment

    Kevin Bailey

    Thursday, January 19, 2012

  • What a welcome turn around. Lets hope they get a chance to show what they can-cannot do to get us out this seasons doldrums.

    Report this comment

    The original Victor Meldrew

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • This is great news and about time. However, why just the one year? To prove the faith that the Club have in them, they should have been offered at least 2 years each.

    Report this comment

    nsc283b

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • This is for once very good news.Why has it taken so long for paul jewell to realise we need youth,these lads are the future for this club,lets just hope they now want to stay at this great club.Lets hope we can bring in a few top quality defenders and maybe a midfielder and striker,this will bear well for the future and bring supporters back as gates are falling fast.II have been a true blue for 55 years and at this time of writing hate to to say it but this is the worst team i have seen .C.O.Y.B.

    Report this comment

    brisie58

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • Two faced jewell at it again, showing us all what a hypocrite he is. Total about turn by jewell since his pep talk with evans and now its all youngsters being signed.

    Report this comment

    ged scott

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • How wierd. Ronan Murray was literally being shown the door a few weeks ago whilst Hyam has looked a good long term prospect since Keane had the courage (initially) to play him. Both these contracts seem daft. Murray will only be worth signing IF Town actually give him a chance and Hyam is surely a better prospect than Carson and should be offered a similar length of contract

    Report this comment

    Rob Steroo

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • Frank - Your obvious love for Paul Jewell is clouding your memory.....Have a flick through some cuttings and websites to remind yourself how many other youngsters have been off loaded by you lovely Mr Jewell.....He has only changed tack this week after it became obvious to him, Mr Clegg and Mr Evans how much he was becoming despised.....and after realising what most fans felt about his transfer policy of employing old lags !!!! This is merely a reaction to the pressure he has been put under NOT some fantastic cunning plan as you believe

    Report this comment

    bluearmy78

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • brisie58 you hit the nail on the head falling gates. it is all about money. i just saw southampton bid 4 million for jordon. so he will not be coming back here .

    Report this comment

    mike benham

    Thursday, January 19, 2012

  • There's certain to be some hitches if CEO Clegg becomes involved. However, Paul Jewell, you have left it rather late AGAIN to tie up those you wish to retain and hope that you will act swiftly to offer contracts to the others you intend to keep.

    Report this comment

    Brian Betts

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • again, good signs but I feel the club needlessly made the youngsters feel unwanted until PJ realised that it is those whom we rely on and not his band of OAP's that HE signed...!

    Report this comment

    Sid Tractorgirls

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • Chris - I think it fair to say, and PJ has alluded to this himself, there was no priority whatsoever until very very recently to seek out young talent. Quite the reverse actually...the club and PJ identified proven experienced players and allowed younger players to leave (Ronan Murray for one example who is dramatically back on thescene). I am chuffed they are finally listening to what many have been saying but lets not gloss over their failings in such a glib manner, balance is required. The cynic in me wonders whether this sudden emphasis on the youth is actually a realisation that we will be forced into using youngsters in the event of our relegation because the players PJ has bought won't want to play in league 1 or we won't be able to afford their wages ? Lets not forget Hyam, Smith etc were brought back into the fold not because of some epiphany experienced by PJ but because of injuries to players he bought and therefore assumed were better players.

    Report this comment

    bluearmy78

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • Paul Jewell has once again proved he is listening and keeping to his word of holding onto to the young talent at Portman Road, which is something that sadly Roy Keane failed to do.

    Report this comment

    FRANK WESTON

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

  • Chris, I didn't make my point very well on the 10 years, no, and you are quite right to pick me up on it. What I was trying to say, was that he was using methods that are 10 years old, and those methods no longer work. He has failed in 3 out of the last 4 jobs he has had. IF he is being given a second chance, then he is a very, very, very, very, lucky man. He was successful at Wigan, yes, and I have based my comments on Jewell on evidence, and what has actually happened whilst he has been here. I also accept the criticism that this was 6 years ago, and stand corrected. I was confusing it with Bradford which was 10 years ago from a time perspective.

    Report this comment

    Kevin Bailey

    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...
iwitness24 Your news is our news Facebook Like your local paper Twitter Join the conversation Ipswich Borough Council

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT