March 11 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
A Suffolk non-league player has been banned from all football for a minimum of three years.
Glyn Dixon pleaded guilty to a charge of improper conduct including violent conduct and threatening and/ or abusive language or behaviour.
The 34-year-old, who is a Woodbridge Town Youth parent, was charged in relation to an incident in an under-11 match that he had agreed to referee.
A fracas broke out after a spectator allegedly called Dixon a cheat during the game between Woodbridge Town Youth and Witnesham Wasps on October 12.
Other spectators described seeing punches thrown in what started as a verbal altercation 15 minutes into the 9-a-side match at Melton playing fields near Woodbridge.
The confrontation took place just yards away from the two junior football teams, most of whose players are 10-years-old. Two U12 teams were also playing nearby.
Several of the young players said they were too distressed to continue. The Division One match in the South Suffolk Youth League was subsequently abandoned.
Although he pleaded guilty to the charge, Dixon requested a verbal plea for leniency.
A three-man disciplinary commission met at Suffolk FA headquarters at Stowmarket on Monday night when Dixon was banned indefinitely from all football with no review for three years. He was also fined £150.
Dixon, who is currently registered with Wickham Market FC, has previously played as a goalkeeper for Grundisburgh, Leiston and Woodbridge Town.
Witnesham Wasps pleaded guilty to a charge of failing to ensure their players and/ or officials and/ or spectators conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and were fined £100.
Suffolk FA chief executive Laura Smith said: “What makes this incident worse is that this was a children’s game, where adults should be setting the right example.
“The sanctions highlight that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated in our county.
“We hope that this acts as an example to others as to the consequences of their actions.”