Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 4°C

min temp: 1°C

Search

Darts ace Peter Wright knocked out of World Grand Prix

PUBLISHED: 11:36 06 October 2017 | UPDATED: 11:36 06 October 2017

Peter Wright on his way to defeat against Mensur Suljovic at the World Grand Prix. Picture: LAWRENCE LUSTIG/PDC

Peter Wright on his way to defeat against Mensur Suljovic at the World Grand Prix. Picture: LAWRENCE LUSTIG/PDC

LAWRENCE LUSTIG

Mendham’s Peter Wright bowed out of the World Grand Prix after losing three sets in a row to Mensur Suljovic in the quarter-finals last night, writes Alex Moss.

The third seed had become the bookies’ favourite following the early exits of Michael van Gerwen and Gary Anderson, but the Suffolk ace saw his bid for a second major title of the season ended by the in-form Austrian.

A victory for Wright last night would have seen him climb above his World Cup partner Anderson and up to a career-high number two in the world, and the 47-year-old made a good start as he took the opening set in a deciding leg.

Sixth seed Suljovic, who beat Wright on the way to winning the Champions League of Darts last month, took out 122 on the bull in the first leg and also led 2-0 in the opener, before Wright capitalised on eight missed set darts from Suljovic to claim the lead.

However, Suljovic fought back after the break and won the second set without reply, taking out 99 with two double tops in leg three, and he repeated the whitewash scoreline in set three with checkouts of 48, 97 and 135.

Suljovic’s winning run continued in the next set as finishes of 60 and 56 put him 2-0 up and on the brink of a place in the semi-finals, but Wright claimed the next two legs to keep his hopes alive to take the set into a deciding leg.

In the decider, Suljovic had the throw and got off with his second dart in the double-start format, while Wright’s first visit saw him miss all three darts at the outer ring.

Wright found the double in his next visit but was now playing catch-up to the Austrian, who ensured his opponent would not get a chance at a finish as he posted a brilliant 141 checkout to eliminate the world number three.

Suljovic will face Australia’s Simon Whitlock, and van Gerwen’s conqueror John Henderson takes on Northern Ireland’s Daryl Gurney, in the semi-finals tonight, with the final to take place tomorrow.

In this week’s nostalgia, we take a look at when two goals from Chris Kiwomya earned Ipswich Town a replay with Aston Villa in the fourth round of the League Cup, in December 1992.

Ipswich Town take on Aston Villa, at Villa Park, in a Championship match this afternoon (3pm). STUART WATSON previews the match.

Emyr Huws is excited by the chance to repay the faith shown in him by Mick McCarthy and the Ipswich Town fans after returning from an injury he admits ‘messed with his head’.

Teenage midfield duo Flynn Downes and Tristan Nydam must compete for their places now senior players are returning to fitness, says Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy.

Fit-again Teddy Bishop is ready to play the role of super sub for Ipswich Town, says boss Mick McCarthy.

Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy is ‘absolutely not’ seeking retrospective punishment for Sheffield Wednesday defender Glenn Loovens following his nasty challenge on David McGoldrick on Wednesday night.

Mick McCarthy is set to field ‘a few fresh faces’ when Ipswich Town face Aston Villa tomorrow, while he hinted at a start for Emyr Huws.

Following the news David McGoldrick faces a month out with a groin injury, sports writer Andy Warren looks at the arguements four and against Mick McCarthy’s potential replacement options.

Ipswich Town take on Aston Villa, at Villa Park, in a Championship match tomorrow (3pm ko).

Bartosz Bialkowski expects the return of midfielder Emyr Huws to give Ipswich Town a real boost as the Blues prepare for Saturday’s clash with Aston Villa.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24