Ipswich shoppers give their reaction to Marks and Spencer’s announcement it may close UK stores
One of Britain’s high street institutions has announced it may close some of its shops in the face of financial pressures.
Marks and Spencer is considering closing around 30 stores, with another 30 being downgraded to feature just food and not the company’s clothing range.
It has not yet said which towns and cities could be affected by the cutbacks.
Today shoppers in Ipswich gave their reaction to the news.
Some said while they would continue shopping at M&S if it just became a food store, they felt losing the chain in Ipswich completely would be a big blow to the town.
You may also want to watch:
As well as the closures and changes to existing stores, Marks and Spencer has plans to open another 200 Simply Food outlets.
- 1 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 2 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 5 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 6 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
- 7 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 8 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 9 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 10 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park