Nostalgia: Did you ever attend a Suffolk festival of sport?
- Credit: Owen Hines
The Olympic Games may have come to a dramatic close on Sunday – but how could we forget some of Suffolk's festivals of sport?
The sporting games were held each year around the county, giving some of Suffolk's youngsters and veterans alike the chance to try a variety of sports while learning what local clubs had to offer.
Popular sports included football, fencing and kickboxing – and even included the exhilarating motoball, a game of football on motorcycles.
Among some of the biggest events was the Ipswich Festival of Sport in 1978 – the same year Town fans went crazy with the club's historic FA Cup win.
Other events on the sporting calendar included sporting festivals in Sudbury and Bury St Edmunds, as well as over the border in Mistley.
You may also want to watch:
All eyes now turn to the Paralympic Games, starting in Tokyo on Tuesday, August 24.
If you would like to order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 'Extra-cautionary' Covid measures reintroduced at Kesgrave High
- 2 Fears Ipswich's best-known landmarks are at risk
- 3 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 4 'The village already can't cope' - Concerns over 114-home plan
- 5 Town centre delays following accident
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 NHS confirms new Ipswich 'super-surgery' should open in 2024
- 8 New barber's shop opens on Ipswich shopping parade
- 9 Rail services disrupted for 4 hours as line blocked near Ipswich
- 10 Can you spot yourself in our first class school pictures from 2002?