Do you remember when there was a Wimpy on every Suffolk high street?
- Credit: JOHN KERR/ARCHANT
There was once a time when Brown Derbies and Bender sausages were competing against Big Macs and Bargain Buckets for Suffolk's fast food attention.
Now just one Wimpy remains in Suffolk - in Felixstowe - but there was once a time when the chain had a branch on nearly every high street in the county.
Founded in the USA in 1937, at its height the chain had more than 500 stores in the UK offering the iconic Brown Derby, a donut with a scoop of ice cream in the middle, and the Bender in a Bun sausage burger.
Now, just 67 remain.
The chain's branch at Old Market Place in Sudbury announced it would be closing, saying: “We would like to say a big thank you to all our customers throughout the years that have been by our side in Wimpy.
“We are shutting Wimpy down. The Wimpy company was not satisfying us or our customers any more.”
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 3 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 6 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
- 7 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 8 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 9 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 10 Town to gather to remember flood victims 69 years on