Why I Love Suffolk: Liddy Pleasants
- Credit: Contributed
When I first moved to Suffolk I lived on Melton Hill in Woodbridge. I had been living there for at least a month, before I discovered that Woodbridge was on the river. I had already decided this was ‘my kind of place’ with it’s pretty town centre and shops. I was then extremely delighted, and somewhat surprised, to discover that I had in fact entirely missed the town’s most beautiful section, stretched along the Deben.
It’s controversial, I know, but actually I’m not a huge fan of Suffolk’s beaches. To me the allure of the county is the river estuaries and the inland rural scenery. So I’m going to cheat and go for Bawdsey. It’s really a river beach but it’s just close to the sea so I think it counts. Think happy days enjoying beautiful views and popping on the tiny ferry over to the Felixstowe side for piping hot fish and vinegary chips.
I just love Helmingham Hall gardens – so beautifully laid out and landscaped and the flowers in the middle of summer are stunning. There’s also a great little nursery there (and café) so after you have walked around, you can seek inspiration and take some plants home to try to recreate what you have seen. This has also always been a firm favourite with my children because of the kids’ trail.
- 1 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 2 Strong interest expected as 'prime' town centre shop unit hits market with price tag of more than £1m
- 3 Ongoing heathland blaze sees 147 calls made to fire service
- 4 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
- 5 Investigations ongoing into 'inter-gang disputes' in town
- 6 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 7 Convicted murderer released on temporary license arrested in Ipswich
- 8 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 9 21-year-old man drowned on hottest day of the year, inquest hears
- 10 Meeting to discuss traffic calming measures after community concerns
Framlingham is our nearest town and remains my favourite. I love the Saturday market and walking around the mere, before finishing up with a coffee or ice cream at one of the many cafes.
Our local, the Pettistree Greyhound. Delicious food, delightful staff and soda bread to die for.
Place to eat
Mahzen in Ipswich. I don’t often go into Ipswich but when I do this is far and away my favourite place to eat. Unbelievably delicious Turkish/Mediterranean food.
It has to be the Maggie Hambling Scallop between Aldeburgh and Thorpeness. My children spend hours playing here - it’s so refreshing to have a piece of art that you can play on. And for me, I take a Thermos of coffee and look at the sea whilst they are kept happy!
The one from my back door. It’s a loop through Dallinghoo and Bredfield and you never see a soul. Gently undulating hills, endless fields, banks of poppies and a wonderful sense of peace.
Stokes sauces! I have been a devoted Heinz ketchup lover all my life, but even I am addicted to Stokes’ very delicious own brand. See also their cider and horseradish mustard. Divine.