16-year-old girl raped in Stowmarket
POLICE are today investigating the rape of a 16-year-old girl in Stowmarket.The victim, who is from the town, made an initial report to police last night and is now being interviewed by specially trained officers.
POLICE are today investigating the rape of a 16-year-old girl in Stowmarket.
The victim, who is from the town, made an initial report to police last night and is now being interviewed by specially trained officers.
The girl was in Excel Nightclub when she decided to leave at about 3am to try and trace a friend. A man, who she had met in the club, accompanied her and raped her on the towpath at the rear of the club.
When the attacker left to go back into the club she went to the taxi office and caught a taxi home.
You may also want to watch:
The man is described as white, about 6ft tall, in his early twenties, of slim build, with short dark hair and had a trimmed goatee beard which ran to his hairline. He was wearing a multicoloured checked shirt.
The crime scene was sealed off today while detectives continue their inquiries.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 3 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 4 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
- 5 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 6 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
- 7 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 8 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
- 9 Farmland 'years away' from development, says builder
Detective Inspector David Rutterford, who is leading the investigation, said: "The young woman is extremely distressed by the ordeal.
"Specially trained officers are working with her to provide her support and ascertain any further details relating to the offence.
"At this stage we are keen to talk with anyone who may have information to assist us with our enquiries. We would like to hear from anyone who was in Excel Nightclub on the evening of Saturday 24 July and the early hours of Sunday 25 July.
"Perhaps you were leaving the club and used the towpath as a route home? Whatever information you may have please contact us as a matter of priority."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Stowmarket CID on 01284 774100 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.