20 reasons why you have to go to this year’s Suffolk Show
PUBLISHED: 11:00 20 May 2017 | UPDATED: 15:07 20 May 2017
From Poldark’s horses, to buddly animals and the best food - our top 20 reasons not to miss Suffolk Show 2017
have you got your tickets for Suffolk Show yet? If not, here are some reasons you really musn’t miss it this year.
1. Children can enter for free! There are lots of free things for them to see and do making it an affordable day out for the whole family during the school holidays.
2. The food, glorious food. Adnams Food Hall is packed with nearly 80 producers. You can lay in the sun on a beanbag in the Beach Eats area with an ice cream in the sun. And multiple street food stalls can be found up and down the showground selling everything from gourmet burgers, to vegetarian Indian snacks and calamari with fizz.
3. There are loads of shopping opportunities. Craft tents will be filled with handmade goodies. On Fifth Avenue the pink carpet’s being rolled out for some of the most exclusive hand-picked designers in the region. And there’s the chance to buy lots of items for your pets, horses, house and garden. Or maybe even a new car or tractor?
4. Watch horses that have appeared on TVs Poldark in action - one of the main attractions in the Grand Ring.
5. The Shetland Pony Grand National is always worth watching.
6. Pop to the Hopkins Homes Lifestyle Pavilion for inspiration on decorating and styling every aspect of your home.
7. Be dazzled by the fabulous designs in the flower and garden shows.
8. Learn how to get fit the fun way in the sports zone where you can tackle a climbing wall, learn some tricks on the BMX track, and even ascend a climbing wall - all for free.
9. Everyone loves the Farm Discovery Zone which combines education with fun (and the cute factor). Pop into the hatchery where you can see chicks unfurling from their shells. You can even give one of them, or a fluffy little duckling, a hold if you like.
10. Speaking of cute cuddly animals - don’t miss the rabbit show!
11. Or the Sheep Show. A real favourite at country fairs, this is a hilarious must-see.
12. Get up close to pedigree animals as they take to the rings in competition. Don’t miss the majestic county horse - the Suffolk Punch. With their manes braided and their chestnut-coloured hair gleaming, they really are a spectacular sight.
13. Sit inside a helicopter, play noughts and crosses against a diver, try your hand at shooting, and play laser tag in the Military Zone.
14. Take a ride on traditional fairground attractions.
15. Watch chefs from Suffolk and beyond in the cookery theatre. Pick up tips and maybe even try a little sample. There will be omelette challenges here across both days too.
16. If you’ve got children with you (especially teens) swing by the Skills area where local colleges are offering loads of hands-on activities. These include the chance to try out being a DJ, piping icing onto cupcakes (which you can of course take away and eat), having nail stencils done, or even getting your locks styled.
17. Bring vouchers from your EADT or Ipswich Star into the Archant Tea Tent for your free cuppa! Or look out for our merchandisers selling goody bags on the day, including your tea coupon.
18. Ride in a vintage tractor!
19. Prop yourself up at one of the bars for a proper pint of Suffolk beer - be it from Adnams, Green King or Calvors.
20. Find out more about this fabulous county we call home. Services, charities and organisations from all over Suffolk, in the realms of health, transport, lifestyle and more will be out in force at the show giving out oodles of information on how to make the most of life in the east of England.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.