44-year-old man charged with making more than 200 indecent images of children has case committed to Ipswich Crown Court
- Credit: PA
A 44-year-old man has appeared in court accused of making more than 200 indecent images of children.
Shane Gibson, of Highfields, Bentley, near Ipswich, is facing four charges.
Three of the accusations are that he made indecent photographs/pseudo photographs of a child.
He is also charged with one offence of distributing an indecent photograph/pseudo photograph of a child.
The distribution allegation relates to April 13 last year while the remainder of the accusations are said to have taken place on or before July 23, 2014.
You may also want to watch:
The charges are said to involve a total of 227 images.
The images are alleged to span the grading levels A, B and C, with Level A being the most serious.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 5 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 6 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 7 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 8 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 9 'I miss him to bits' – Ipswich fundraiser for Alton Water teen deaths
- 10 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
Gibson made his first appearance before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich.
He did not enter any plea during the hearing.
Prosecutor Corrinne Gook-Hurren told the court the charges included 99 Level A images.
Due to the nature of the case it was deemed not suitable for trial in a magistrates’ court.
District Judge Celia Dawson said the starting point for sentencing Level A offences was one year in custody.
She told Gibson his case would be committed to Ipswich Crown Court as the magistrates’ court had insufficient sentencing powers should there be a conviction in the case.
Gibson’s next appearance is due to be before the crown court on January 27. A trial window of between May 25 and July 3 was given.
Gibson was released on bail with the condition that he was not to have unsupervised contact with any person under the age of 18.