99p Store in Carr Street to reopen as Poundland after national take over
- Credit: Archant
A third Poundland store is to open in Ipswich town centre at the weekend.
The former 99p Store in Carr Street is to be rebranded from Saturday – and will reopen its doors on that day.
It is almost opposite the existing Poundland store in the former Woolworths building – and a spokesman for the company said the two shops would both remain open.
Poundland’s other town centre store is on the ground floor of Sailmakers, previously Tower Ramparts, which opened in early 2015.
The three Poundland stores are joined in the town centre by its rival Poundworld which opened in the former River Island store in Tavern Street last September.
Poundland took over the national 99p Store chain last year and the merger was finally approved by the government towards the end of last year.
All 99p Stores are being rebranded as Poundlands. Originally it was thought that some could have to be sold because of monopoly considerations – but eventually the government decided there should be no restrictions on the deal.
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 3 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 6 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 7 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 8 Major milestone marked as Ipswich Hospital south entrance reopens
- 9 'Mum had the last Christmas she deserved' - Ipswich hospice helps families
- 10 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
A spokeswoman for Poundland said it was the company’s intention to operate from both stores on either side of Carr Street in Ipswich from Saturday.