A fitting farewell - you bet
IT was a final and fitting goodbye.When Doreen Godbold's funeral carriage took her on a last journey it could not have been via a more perfect location.
IT was a final and fitting goodbye.
When Doreen Godbold's funeral carriage took her on a last journey it could not have been via a more perfect location.
As the horse-drawn carriage took her through the streets she had spent so many years in and past the people who had grown so fond of her – the carriage slowed at a very special place.
It stopped for a moment outside Coral Bookmakers, in Nacton Road where people gathered to pay tribute to her.
You may also want to watch:
Heads were bowed as the magnificent plumed horses gave Doreen one last glimpse of her favourite place. Her coffin was draped in the Australian flag as a nod of recognition to her country of birth.
"She was just a lovely woman and this is a wonderful tribute to her," said John Brooks who was paying his respects.
- 1 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 2 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 3 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 4 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 5 Big Hoot revealed as latest Ipswich art trail for 2022
- 6 Developers seek views on plans for 150 homes on farmland
- 7 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 8 'They saved a life' - neighbour praises firefighters in Ipswich house blaze
- 9 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
- 10 Ed Sheeran to end break from music with performance at Big Weekend
Alan Collins is the manager at Coral bookmakers where Doreen used to place her bets.
He said: "She used to come in most days. Even when she started to get very ill she used to make the journey from Clapgate Lane."
The carriage then moved on to Belvedere Road cemetery.
Doreen died aged 76 on June 21 after a year-long battle with cancer. She leaves eight children, 17 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.