A holiday by the sea thanks to helpers
IT was hats on, rather than off, to a group of Suffolk people who enjoyed a holiday by the sea, thanks to a team of volunteers.Around 40 people with disabilities spent a week at Corton, near Lowestoft, assisted by Red Cross helpers.
IT was hats on, rather than off, to a group of Suffolk people who enjoyed a holiday by the sea, thanks to a team of volunteers.
Around 40 people with disabilities spent a week at Corton, near Lowestoft, assisted by Red Cross helpers.
Some of the holiday makers are unable to get out and about themselves so this gives them the chance to have a relaxing time away.
Volunteer Maggie Dyer, who will be joining them, said: "Most of the people would not be able to have a holiday if it were not for the people who give up their time voluntarily – to push the chairs and in some cases help the people who wash and dress.
You may also want to watch:
"We have husbands and wives who join us and because of failing health the partner who is not in a wheelchair cannot push the chair. Consequently they never get out, let alone have a holiday."
Eileen Cross, centre organiser at Ipswich, said: "It is a service the Red Cross has run for many years.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 3 'Gutted' Ipswich burger van man loses everything in fire devastation
- 4 Mum opens eco-friendly refill store thanks to savings and public donations
- 5 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 6 Man left with life-changing injuries following stabbing in Ipswich
- 7 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 8 New Starbucks drive thru set to open in Ipswich
- 9 Man charged with assault after police officer punched in the face
- 10 'Controlling' man locked girlfriend in house
"A large number of volunteers are highly skilled and can care for people with severe disabilities, or who are not very well."
Holidays exist for all ages.
All people have to do is to write to Bury St Edmunds headquarters at Red Cross House, Lamdin Road, IP32 6NU and leave a name and address. You do not have to be members of the Red Cross to qualify.