A14 brick throw victim speaks out

A DRIVER who survived a potentially deadly brick-throwing attack while driving along the A14 today branded the actions of the yobs who targeted him as idiotic.

A DRIVER who survived a potentially deadly brick-throwing attack while driving along the A14 today branded the actions of the yobs who targeted him as idiotic.

David Fitzpatrick, an Ipswich assistant store manager, revealed how he believed he came just inches from serious injury or death when the brick was hurled at his car from the banks of Suffolk's busiest road.

The attack has added to the concern generated by four similar incidents on the A14 this month.

Mr Fitzpatrick, a father-of-two from Pinecroft Way, Needham Market, said: “I was on my way home from work, I'd dropped a friend off in the centre of town.

“I went to Morrison's to fill my car up and I came on to the A14 at the Sproughton turn-off.

“All I knew at the time was something had struck the car. Something hit the roof and the windscreen exploded. All the lights in the interior fell into the car.

Most Read

“It was a huge, huge bang. My first thought was it was either an animal or something from another car.”

It was not until Mr Fitzpatrick got home that he saw the car's roof was littered with brick dust and had been dented in up to four places.

He reported the incident, which happened at about 7pm on November 8, to the police.

The assistant manager at the Macro store at Ransomes Europark said: “My sun roof was completely caved in.

“The brick must have come from the side of the road.

“I'm quite concerned there were idiots throwing bricks from the side of the road.

“I was very, very lucky. It luckily landed right in the middle and it hit where the window and the roof join.

“There was glass over me from the interior laminates.

“If that had been three inches lower and come through my windscreen God knows what could have happened.

“It was quite frightening at the time.”

Suffolk police have confirmed there were four similar attacks in a nine-day period earlier this month, and they came on the back of a string of similar incidents in spring.

Chief Inspector Bruce Robinson, district commander for Ipswich, said earlier this week: “We are extremely concerned by this.

“The message to those individuals doing this is to stop it now.”

n A 13-year-old boy from Ipswich arrested in connection with the offences has been bailed to return to Ipswich police station on

n Have you been a victim of a similar attack? Contact The Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324788 or e-mail starnews@eveningstar.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter