A14 reopens after HGV crash closed road
- Credit: Archant
The A14 has reopened after a crash between two HGVs blocked the road for more than four hours.
Suffolk police were initially called to reports of a jack-knifed lorry on the A14 westbound between junction 57 at Nacton Heath and junction 56 at Wherstead.
The westbound carriageway was closed and Highways England said on their website that it would remain closed until 3pm however the lorry was cleared earlier than expected at 10.45am.
Debris was scattered across the road and Highways England officials assisted with clearing the road, saying there was a spillage across the carriageway.
The driver of one of the lorries has been taken to hospital for a check up however he is not believed to be seriously injured.
You may also want to watch:
The closure caused traffic chaos across Ipswich, with drivers reporting long delays on nearly every other major route in and out of the town.
There were also long delays on the A14, with traffic queueing for miles back to junction 58 - the Seven Hills roundabout.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 5 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 6 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 7 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 8 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 9 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 10 HSBC announces temporary closure of Ipswich branch
Westbound motorists were advised to take junction 58 through Ipswich and onto the Copdock interchange.
There was also a two vehicle crash underneath the Orwell Bridge in The Strand.
The crash closed the Ipswich-bound carriageway of the road and an ambulance was called to the scene. However, there were not believed to be any serious injuries.
There were also traffic problems on many roads across Ipswich.
There were long delays in Wherstead Road, Nacton Road and Felixstowe Road, as well as London Road and Norwich Road.
Drivers also reported delays on the A12 northbound at Copdock.