A14 reopens after HGV crash closed road
- Credit: Archant
The A14 has reopened after a crash between two HGVs blocked the road for more than four hours.
Suffolk police were initially called to reports of a jack-knifed lorry on the A14 westbound between junction 57 at Nacton Heath and junction 56 at Wherstead.
The westbound carriageway was closed and Highways England said on their website that it would remain closed until 3pm however the lorry was cleared earlier than expected at 10.45am.
Debris was scattered across the road and Highways England officials assisted with clearing the road, saying there was a spillage across the carriageway.
The driver of one of the lorries has been taken to hospital for a check up however he is not believed to be seriously injured.
The closure caused traffic chaos across Ipswich, with drivers reporting long delays on nearly every other major route in and out of the town.
There were also long delays on the A14, with traffic queueing for miles back to junction 58 - the Seven Hills roundabout.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 8 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
Westbound motorists were advised to take junction 58 through Ipswich and onto the Copdock interchange.
There was also a two vehicle crash underneath the Orwell Bridge in The Strand.
The crash closed the Ipswich-bound carriageway of the road and an ambulance was called to the scene. However, there were not believed to be any serious injuries.
There were also traffic problems on many roads across Ipswich.
There were long delays in Wherstead Road, Nacton Road and Felixstowe Road, as well as London Road and Norwich Road.
Drivers also reported delays on the A12 northbound at Copdock.