A14 Orwell Bridge REOPENS for evening rush hour
The A14 Orwell Bridge has reopened to traffic having been closed since before this morning’s rush hour - causing havoc on the roads in Ipswich.
Staff from Highways England visited the bridge this afternoon to conduct tests to see if wind speeds had reduced enough to reopen the road.
They are now in the process of reopening the road in both directions and the first vehicles are now making the crossing
Highways England took to Twitter this morning at around 7am to announce the closure due to the ‘very strong winds’ from Storm Gareth.
Today’s bridge closure has caused chaos on the roads, with traffic which would normally take the bridge diverting through Ipswich, putting a strain on the town’s road network.
You may also want to watch:
Storm Gareth, affecting much of the UK, is expected to last until Friday.
Stay with us for travel updates as Storm Gareth winds continue to cause disruption.
- 1 Covid vaccines cancelled at four Suffolk centres today – this is why
- 2 Good Inside cafe opens for 'real food' takeaways in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Three fined for breaching Covid rules at 'gathering' after reports of loud music
- 4 What was unearthed during the BBC's Antiques Roadshow Ipswich episode?
- 5 Murder probe launched after woman in 20s dies in Colchester
- 6 Ipswich child rapist gets 21 years for 'despicable' crimes
- 7 Man 'moved on' for eating sausage roll on Ipswich park bench
- 8 Warning after distraction thefts at supermarkets
- 9 Huge numbers of Covid vaccine bookings in Suffolk
- 10 New cheese afternoon tea launched in Suffolk