ActivIpswich launches first multi-sport session with pentathlon for over-55s
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Dozens of eager over-55s joined the ActivIpswich project at Whitton Sports Centre last week for the launch of its latest activity – the pentathlon.
ActivIpswich helps people aged 55 and above who do not take part in regular sport to get active in a social and relaxed atmosphere open to everyone of all abilities.
The pentathlon, which was the project’s first multi-sport session, featured 40 people having a go at adapted volleyball and netball, with other tasters in golf, archery, swimming and gymnastics set for later this month.
“The initial interest in this event has been brilliant,” said Mike McCarthy, ActivIpswich Project Manager.
“It’s great to see so much enthusiasm for having a go at something new among participants whose ages range between 55 and 85.”
You may also want to watch:
The pentathlon joins existing sports including boccia, new age kurling and walking football.
To find out more about activities ActivIpswich offers and full dates and times for taster days, call 01473 345350 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 4 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 9 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 10 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment