Air crew scrambled after alarm raised
A FULL scale emergency operation swung into action after coastguards picked up a distress call in the area of Ramsey.The alert came in at about 7.30pm yesterday and a crew from the Search and Rescue helicopter unit based at Wattisham Airfield was scrambled.
A FULL scale emergency operation swung into action after coastguards picked up a distress call in the area of Ramsey.
The alert came in at about 7.30pm yesterday and a crew from the Search and Rescue helicopter unit based at Wattisham Airfield was scrambled.
The exact location of the beacon was unclear so a thorough search of the coast and inland was undertaken.
Eventually the crew spotted the flashing beacon, using night vision goggles, in a rubbish skip close to a residential area in Sholden, near Deal.
You may also want to watch:
Crewmen deactivated the beacon and then returned it to coastguards.
It is understood that the beacon belonged to Turkish vessel 'Semab' which is currently in Italy.
- 1 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 2 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 3 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
- 4 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 5 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
- 6 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: Burglar, dangerous driver and drug dealer put behind bars
- 8 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 9 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
- 10 Man, 20, to face trial over £1,500 drug haul