All aboard for Suffolk regatta
ONE of the east coast's premier sailing events is being staged this weekend.
ONE of the east coast's premier sailing events is being staged this weekend .
The Port of Felixstowe International Regatta will take place from Saturday until Monday and is expected to be the most popular and competitive regatta yet.
Jointly organised by Haven Ports Yacht Club, Walton and Frinton Yacht Club, and Royal Harwich Yacht Club, the regatta will be based from Suffolk Yacht Harbour in Levington.
Competitors are expected from the continent as well as from across the UK
Regatta Organising Committee chairman, Nigel Mower, said: “The three clubs involved in the organisation of the regatta are extremely proud of its success.
“With the Port of Felixstowe's support it has become a leading fixture in the annual sailing calendar.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 6 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 7 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 8 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
“A great deal of hard work goes into the event each year, and the fact that competitors seem to return year after year is testament to the excellent racing that the regatta provides.”
Chris Lewis, chief executive officer for Hutchison Ports (UK) Limited, owners of the Port of Felixstowe, said: “The event has grown in stature over the years to become one of the East Coast's premier sailing events.
“Leisure traffic co-exists with the commercial traffic in Harwich Harbour, and we are proud of the close links the Port of Felixstowe has developed with this prestigious competition.”
There is still time for additional entries. Anyone interested in taking part should visit the regatta website at www.pofr.org
In addition to the racing, there is an extensive social programme planned, with food, drink, and live entertainment during the evenings.
The official regatta prize giving takes place on Monday afternoon, including the presentation of the Hutchison Ports Cup for the most meritorious performance.
The racing will take place in Dovercourt Bay and will feature five races.