Anger as vandals torch cars
FIREFIGHTERS attended a string of suspicious car fires in arson-hit east Ipswich in three hours.A disused car was torched dangerously close to nearby houses in a secluded private car park off Haselmere Drive.
FIREFIGHTERS attended a string of suspicious car fires in arson-hit east Ipswich in three hours.
A disused car was torched dangerously close to nearby houses in a secluded private car park off Haselmere Drive. The blue Renault five was waiting to be scrapped when it was set alight at around 12.45am this morning.
Owner, Nicki Read, 38, did not know of the fire until this morning. She said: "I am livid. The damage to the car doesn't worry me. It is the fact that the fire was so close to the houses. You don't expect this kind of thing in this round here as it is such a nice area.
"I feel guilty as if I had it moved earlier it would not have been sitting there as such an easy target."
You may also want to watch:
Neighbour Jenny Frost said: "I was working on my computer at the time and heard a loud bang. I looked out and saw the fire engine and the searchlight of the police helicopter. My husband went out to check that the other cars were all right."
The residents feared that two other wrecked Mini's and a disused caravan may be targeted next. Witnesses saw a youth on a bicycle in the area shortly before hand.
- 1 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 2 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 3 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 4 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 5 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 6 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 7 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 8 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
Police were informed by the fire service and enquiries were being carried out.
Earlier a vehicle was set on fire in Sandy Hill Lane at 10.40pm and another was ablaze at The Lairs at 11.27pm last night.
A spokeswoman for the fire service confirmed they were treating the blazes as suspicious.