Annie celebrates her birthday in style
SPRIGHTY Annie Borthwick was today in fine form after reaching the milestone age of 100.The centenarian was delighted as she was showered with flowers, cards, gifts and even a telegram from the Queen for her special day.
SPRIGHTY Annie Borthwick was today in fine form after reaching the milestone age of 100.
The centenarian was delighted as she was showered with flowers, cards, gifts and even a telegram from the Queen for her special day.
Born on Boxing Day 1908, Mrs Borthwick, who now lives in Sherrington House in Sherrington Road, Ipswich, claims she has lived a long and happy life.
She was born in Leiston and was one of seven. The family moved to Ipswich when she was young where she has spent most of her life, apart from spells in Washbrook and Woodbridge.
Mrs Borthwick, nee Myall, worked for a family as a domestic cleaner up until she met and married her husband Thomas. They married at All Hallows Church in Landseer Road in 1940 and remained happily together until his death just over 40 years ago.
They had three children, Rosemary, who died ten years ago, and Raymond and James. She now has seven grandchildren and five great grandchildren.
- 1 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 2 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 3 Ford Transit van destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 4 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 5 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 6 OPINION: Back to business - these are the council's plans for Ipswich
- 7 Cricket club praises ambulance service after player collapses in the field
- 8 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 9 Travellers move on from Chantry Park in Ipswich
- 10 St Clement's Church ready for new life as an arts centre
Mrs Borthwick was living on her own in a flat in Woodbridge until she had a fall about three years ago and then moved into Sherrington House.
Mrs Borthwick said: “I have had a good, happy life and they have looked after me well here. I have looked after myself well too in my life. I never get ill.”
On her birthday she enjoyed a party with friends and family at the home.
Do you know someone celebrating a milestone birthday? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org