Annie celebrates her birthday in style
SPRIGHTY Annie Borthwick was today in fine form after reaching the milestone age of 100.The centenarian was delighted as she was showered with flowers, cards, gifts and even a telegram from the Queen for her special day.
SPRIGHTY Annie Borthwick was today in fine form after reaching the milestone age of 100.
The centenarian was delighted as she was showered with flowers, cards, gifts and even a telegram from the Queen for her special day.
Born on Boxing Day 1908, Mrs Borthwick, who now lives in Sherrington House in Sherrington Road, Ipswich, claims she has lived a long and happy life.
She was born in Leiston and was one of seven. The family moved to Ipswich when she was young where she has spent most of her life, apart from spells in Washbrook and Woodbridge.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Borthwick, nee Myall, worked for a family as a domestic cleaner up until she met and married her husband Thomas. They married at All Hallows Church in Landseer Road in 1940 and remained happily together until his death just over 40 years ago.
They had three children, Rosemary, who died ten years ago, and Raymond and James. She now has seven grandchildren and five great grandchildren.
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 6 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 10 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
Mrs Borthwick was living on her own in a flat in Woodbridge until she had a fall about three years ago and then moved into Sherrington House.
Mrs Borthwick said: “I have had a good, happy life and they have looked after me well here. I have looked after myself well too in my life. I never get ill.”
On her birthday she enjoyed a party with friends and family at the home.
Do you know someone celebrating a milestone birthday? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com