Another crash at accident spot
NEIGHBOURS living near a notorious accident black spot have today spoken of their fears after a three-car pile up.The three vehicle crash at a bend on Norwich Road, Ipswich, on Saturday, is the 16th incident on the same stretch of road in the last seven years.
NEIGHBOURS living near a notorious accident black spot have today spoken of their fears after a three-car pile up.
The three vehicle crash at a bend on Norwich Road, Ipswich, on Saturday, is the 16th incident on the same stretch of road in the last seven years.
Residents, who watched an anti-skid surface being laid just hours before the crash, say nothing will put a stop to speeding motorists.
Sean Welham, 33, of Old Norwich Road, called for speed cameras to be set up.
He said: "There's constant speeding along here and as a result of a petition the council put in several traffic calming measures but nothing works. We need speed cameras.
Mr Welham added: "Every night we lay in bed thinking will there be another accident tonight?"
- 1 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 2 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 3 Bank cards stolen as five cars broken into across Ipswich this weekend
- 4 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 5 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 6 Ipswich man appears in court charged with child sex offences
- 7 Man who repeatedly hit partner jailed for 64 weeks
- 8 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 9 Homeless man allegedly stabbed man who offered help
- 10 'Despicable racism' condemned after letter in post
Eric Filby, 53, said: "There's hardly a house on this side of the stretch of road that hasn't had some kind of damage caused.
"The warning signs and bollards have had no impact. The only thing that will slow people down is police sitting there 24/7 watching them."
Norwich Road resident and father-of-two Jon Mason also spoke of his fears for his family's safety.
He said: "The real problem is drivers who break the 30mph speed limit.
"I am increasingly worried, especially because I have young children, and you are always worried when the next time will be.
"I think the only option is some kind of chicane to protect residents and their property."
Mr Mason, 27, added: "A lot of people use this route on their way home from town. It was very fortunate no-one was injured this time."
Suffolk police spokeswoman Anna Woolnough said a Vauxhall Vectra, Mercedes and Nissan Navar were involved in the collision just before 11.30pm.
Jonathan Love, a 31-year-old from lime Kiln Close in Claydon, was arrested and later charged.
She said: "He was charged with being unfit to drive through drink or drugs.
"Mr Love was bailed to appear at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court on September 22 at 10am."
How the stretch of road has become known as an accident blackspot:
1. In July 1997 a female passenger was killed when her driver lost control of the vehicle and smashed it into a wall.
2. In 1998 a vehicle was written off after hitting into the front walls of two homes.
3. In September 1998 a speeding drink-driver destroyed a lamppost and collided with a parked vehicle.
4. In 1999 a vehicle came off the road and hit into a wall after mounting the path.
5. In January 2000 a vehicle drove into a wooden fence and a vehicle parked in a driveway when it skidded on ice.
6. In October 2000 a vehicle struck the kerb and hit into a post when the driver lost control.
7. In March 2002 a drink driver smashed into a lamppost, brick wall and fence at one home and ended up in another property's driveway.
8. In April 2002 a driver found to be over the limit lost control and drove their vehicle into a wall.
9. In June 2002 another drink-driver sustained serious head and chest injuries after writing off their vehicle by colliding into a wall.
10. In September 2002 a head-on collision left someone with a broken leg, punctured lung and fractured ribs.
11. In October 2002 two parked vehicles were hit by an out-of-control car.
12. In December 2002 a vehicle came off the road and smashed into a garden wall. The driver failed a breath test.
13. In 2003 a driver escaped injuries after straddling the kerb in their vehicle.
14. In October 2003 £8,000 of damage was caused to three properties when a speeding car came off the road
15. In early 2003 a vehicle came off the road. Details unknown.